Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU at Georgia 2012

UGA sports blog
Georgia adds Florida Atlantic to 2012 football schedule — at cost of $1 million

4:28 pm November 30, 2010, by Tim Tucker

Georgia will pay Florida Atlantic $1 million to play a 2012 football game in Sanford Stadium –  the most UGA has ever agreed to pay an opponent for coming to Athens.

The game will be played on Sept. 15, 2012, replacing an originally scheduled game at Louisville on that date.  A two-game, home-and-home contract with Louisville was canceled as part of Georgia’s arrangement to play Boise State in the 2011 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta.

Georgia and Florida Atlantic last week signed a memorandum of understanding on the 2012 game. The document was obtained Tuesday by the AJC under an open-records request.

Florida Atlantic is an FBS (formerly known as Division I-A) team and a member of the Sun Belt Conference. The Owls are 4-7 this season and are coached by 76-year-old Howard Schnellenberger, who was Miami’s coach when Mark Richt, now Georgia’s coach, played quarterback for the Hurricanes.

The $1 million payout has become about the going rate for non-conference FBS opponents who do not require a return visit to their stadium. The most Georgia had agreed to pay previously was $975,000 to Buffalo for a 2012 game and North Texas for a 2013 game.

The agreement between Georgia and Florida Atlantic calls for the Owls to receive 300 complimentary tickets and another 3,000 tickets to purchase and states that there will be a $1 million game cancellation fee.

Florida Atlantic’s non-conference games this season have included a 30-17 loss to Michigan State in Detroit and a 51-17 loss at Texas.

Georgia now has seven home games scheduled in 2012. The Bulldogs’ other non-conference opponents that season, all in Athens, are Buffalo, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech.

Back to the top

Re: FAU at Georgia 2012

I am happy, a game I will attend!!!!
;D
Back to the top

Road trip to Georgia.. I haven't been in a few years, looking forward to it.  :D
Back to the top

Is $1 mil. the most we've ever recieved?
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Is $1 mil. the most we've ever recieved?
Yes, pretty sure we got a mill from South Carolina too

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Awesome.

If anybody needs any advice on Athens, hit me up. Athens is an awesome road trip!

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. - Voltaire
Back to the top

GaOwl is a happy camper up here in Georgia too!

There are actually quite a few alums up here and LOTS of people know of the Owls and always refer to us as Howard's team, they are super football knowledgeable up here.

Can't wait! Go Owls! To bad they can't get a home and home or a 2 and 1 deal for the new stadium, would be even better than the MSU game would have been!
Back to the top

FAU at Georgia 2012

I have been wanting to go to Athens forever.  $1 million pay day…wow.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: