Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 Season Superlatives Part I - The Best & The Worst

We're taking a look back at Florida Atlantic’s 2010 football campaign. In part one we offer our take on the best and worst of the season.

Best Moment

A few things could have been placed here, but the greatest feeling of the season had to have come when almost no one (thanks to a slow video feed) was watching. Winning by one-point on the road, the Owls allowed UAB to drive the field and attempt a last-second field goal that would have won the game; however defender Michael Lockley jumped up and knocked the ball down to preserve the victory. In the minutes following the game there was no where to look but up and the fan base was sent into a frenzy over the season-opening win, crashing the Nest’s server in the process.

Others considered: Ringing the Taylor Victory Bell after the Shula Bowl win, stopping Louisiana’s two-point conversion, the goal line stand at Texas…

Worst Moment

It was a difficult season to watch in large part because of many second half collapses, but the one that burned the most came at Arkansas State. The Owls entered the fourth quarter with a lead, and seconds into the final period of play settled for a field goal instead of a touchdown to go up 16-9. After the score, nothing went good for FAU. The Red Wolves scored four straight touchdowns and went on to win the game 37-16, giving the Owls there fifth straight loss of the season.

Others considered: Troy’s 20-0 lead at the end of the first quarter, Rob Housler’s dropped pass on the final drive of the North Texas loss, FAU’s decision to kick a field goal during the Michigan State game, Jeff Van Camp’s interception returned for a score at Texas…

Best Touchdown

Almost every single one of Lester Jean’s touchdown grabs could have taken this category, but the finest six points of the season came from running back Willie Floyd in the Shula Bowl. FAU held a five-point lead in the fourth quarter and needed a big play to seal the deal over rival FIU, and that’s when the coaching staff went old school. The Owls lined up in the traditional wishbone formation and put the ball in the hands of Floyd who raced 65-yards for a score, securing the win.

Others considered: Jean’s one-handed catch at UAB, Jean’s 80-yard catch and run against Arkansas State, Jean’s 62-yard nab at Western Kentucky, Housler’s 56-yard score in his native state of Texas, Xavier Stinson’s 2-yard snatch on the goal line verse Michigan State…

Worst (Opponent’s) Touchdown

There were over forty different touchdowns scored against the FAU this year, but the one that still sticks out the most came early in the season against Michigan State. Spartan running back Le’Veon Bell took a handoff and bounced it outside, pushing linebacker Michael Lockley to the ground with a stiff arm en route to a nine-yard touchdown run. The score was highlighted through the remainder of the ESPN broadcast, and it showed Lockley taking an arm to the face and falling to the turf.

Others considered: Texas’s Hail Mary pass before halftime, MSU’ 80-yard touchdown run, B.J. Daniel’s 38-yard flea-flicker pass, ULM’s Jyruss Edwards' fourth quarter five-yard run…

Up Next:

Biggest Win, Toughest Loss, & MVP's…
Back to the top

Re: 2010 Season Superlatives Part I - The Best & The Worst

ASU…ugh.

That was hands down the most annoying loss this season, we just gave the game away.

BUT, beating FIU makes up for it! ;D
Back to the top

IMO

The Best: Lester Jean
The Worst: The FAU Football Team
Back to the top

Having traveled to 3 away games this season I am reminded when thinking of the trip to Birmingham why I do this, because it's not cheap or particularly easy to do (for a Thursday night especially) and it usually involves us losing by 30 points (see: Texas and USF) but being one of FAUs 25 fans at the game, cringing when UAB marched down the field on us with time ticking off, and then winning the game in the fashion we did, was worth every penny.

And Dreamland BBQ really helped too!
Back to the top

2010 Season Superlatives Part I - The Best & The Worst

Worst moment - the MSU game. I attended that coaching DISASTER ! I heard MSU fans saying how lucky they were and so glad the game was over. The post game interview was an embarassment to FAU  as well as our players. That COACHING DISASTER moved our program into a downward spiral. I pray that NO COACH ever lets OUR team down like that again. That was the defining moment of our season, which took several games to recover from, and IMO, the end of the Schnellenberger era. The coaches, thus our players gave up. And you wonder why Nord left ?????

Best Moment - the UAB win !! Our TEAM won that game

Congratulations Seniors ! You were a part of FAU and NCAA history !! Achieve your dreams and see you at the opening ceremonies of our new on-campus stadium for a history making program that YOU helped create !!
Back to the top

Best- Saving my money to donate to the stadium instead of traveling to a game.
Worst-Kickoff to the final whistle in pretty much every game.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

And Dreamland BBQ really helped too!
I went out to Tuscaloosa last year when we played Bama. Made it a point to hit Dreamland while I was there. Great stuff.
I heard rumors that you guys have signed to play Bama in 2012. I suggest you make the trip, if possible. I've been there three times and have never had a better experience. The fans are very cool and welcoming, although I imagine they'd be less so if the team they were playing was more of a threat than we were.
Go to Tuscaloosa if you can. Tailgate on The Quad. Good times.
Back to the top

FAUFBL said

Worst moment - the MSU game. I attended that coaching DISASTER ! I heard MSU fans saying how lucky they were and so glad the game was over. The post game interview was an embarassment to FAU  as well as our players. That COACHING DISASTER moved our program into a downward spiral. I pray that NO COACH ever lets OUR team down like that again. That was the defining moment of our season, which took several games to recover from, and IMO, the end of the Schnellenberger era. The coaches, thus our players gave up. And you wonder why Nord left ?????

Best Moment - the UAB win !! Our TEAM won that game

Congratulations Seniors ! You were a part of FAU and NCAA history !! Achieve your dreams and see you at the opening ceremonies of our new on-campus stadium for a history making program that YOU helped create !!

Right, thats why Nord left.  Not to make double the income and coach in the Big 10.  ::)

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I think the best moment of the season is when the stadium go approved.

The worst part of the season is the season itself!
Back to the top

NCowl +1

everyone else 0.

good point on the stadium
Back to the top
Control functions: