Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gator's Urban Meyer Resigns

Add topic

Gator's Urban Meyer Resigns

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/os-urban-meyer-resigns-florida-120810,0,2634204.story

GAINESVILLE – Florida Gators football coach Urban Meyer stepped down on Wednesday after his worst season as a head coach.

Meyer, who resigned and returned after Florida’s SEC Championship loss to Alabama last season, leaves the program after a 7-5 record this season.

“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been making a difference in the lives of the young men I have been so fortunate to have coached and building championship programs,” Meyer said in a statement.  “At this time in my life, however, I fully grasp the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field.  The decision to step down was a difficult one.  But, after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports.  I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been. My family has shared both the commitment and the sacrifice required to coach at this level for so long and I would not have enjoyed the success I have had without their support.”
Back to the top

Re: Gator's Urban Meyer Resigns

To open a whole new can of worms, a thought;

Maybe Meyer will want to come back and Coach at FAU where he wont have to put in 20 hr. days and have all that strees but still live in South Florida and get to keep coaching, without the heart attack stress levels of FBS football. He should not need the type of money anymore either. He can recruit and dominate at our level. How bout it coach? Wanna come to FAU after a year off to unwind, then put in 10 or 20 relatively stress free years in Boca! Go Owls!
Back to the top

Did you see the season UF just had?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

To open a whole new can of worms, a thought;

Maybe Meyer will want to come back and Coach at FAU where he wont have to put in 20 hr. days and have all that strees but still live in South Florida and get to keep coaching, without the heart attack stress levels of FBS football. He should not need the type of money anymore either. He can recruit and dominate at our level. How bout it coach? Wanna come to FAU after a year off to unwind, then put in 10 or 20 relatively stress free years in Boca! Go Owls!

Sounds like you are looking for someone that wants to be at FAU for a hobby and not as a coach.
Back to the top

Nope but the job here does not entail the 20 hr. days that the top programs require to stay on top, that is what is literally killing him!

If Urban put in the same hours that Howard does, how much better off would we (and he) be??? Just a question and a thought. Told you it was another can of worms, ha ha!
Back to the top

No can of worms.  It's just idle debate.  It's all good.

My question is: how do you know how much time Howard puts in?

Back to the top

I think Newton ends up in Denver so he can reunite with Timmy Tebow. Even though Orton has had a fantastic season, Meyer will go there Orton will be gone and Tebow will start

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

I think Meyer ends up in Denver so he can reunite with Timmy Tebow. Even though Orton has had a fantastic season, Meyer will go there Orton will be gone and Tebow will start

That's the talk of the town here in Gainesville but I think they're just tossing that around as catharsis, you know, so it's not so bad that Meyer "abandoned" them after one bad season.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

…catharsis…

75˘ word of the day…Nice!

:D
Back to the top
Control functions: