Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 Season Superlatives Part II - Biggest Win, Toughest Loss, & MVP's

Biggest Win

People always state that no matter how bad of a year a team is having, a win over a rival takes away some of the pain. That was just the case this season for the Owls when they took on the FIU Golden Panthers, as the program was looking for their fifth victory in a row over there instate rivals. They got just that, compiling their best overall performance of the season, winning 21-9 and holding FIU to a season low nine-points. It was the first time since 2006 that an FAU defense hadn’t allowed a touchdown and the offense’s 356-yards was the third highest total of the season. Even in a year where the Golden Panthers had success (Co-Sun Belt Champs) the Owls showed who owns the Shula Bowl.

Others considered: The one-point win over UAB in the Sun Belt’s only victory over a C-USA opponent…

Toughest Loss

When a squad losses eight games, there is a lot of pickings to choose from for the worst loss, but two defeats proved to sting the most when it was all said and done. FAU entered the final weeks of the season with four wins and had a chance of making a bowl game if they were able to knock off conference opponents Middle Tennessee State and Troy. However, the Owls dropped both contests by a combined score of 82-21 and ended the year on a three game losing streak. In the two blowouts the opposing offenses combined for a total of 928 yards, while FAU’s rushing attack managed just a slim 124 yards on the ground. The loss to Troy was the program’s worst home performance since the school’s inaugural game in 2001 and capped of a season of frustration.

Others considered: The 20-17 loss to ULM, and the 31-3 pummeling by USF…

Offensive MVP

Although his first and final year as the starting quarterback didn’t end how he wanted, senior Jeff Van Camp played his heart out all season long and made the best out of what he could. Faced with many troubles along the offensive line, Van Camp still managed to throw for 2,451 and 17 touchdowns while running for his life. Most of his 13 interceptions can be credited to his mistakes or those of others, but the fact is without the passer the offense would have been in much worse shape than it was.

Others considered: Jean (998 yards, 8 TDs), Housler (626 yards, 4 TDs)

Defensive MVP

It was a suppressing year for the defense, which makes this a difficult honor to give away because so many different players had a key role. One player though who really stepped up in his final showing with the team was Lockley. The senior finished second in the conference with 110 tackles and also recorded 6.5 tackles for loss with two sacks and a pair of forced fumbles. Outside of his performance on defense he also blocked four kicks, one of which saved a win. His experience, productivity and leadership will be missed.

Others considered: Safety Marcus Bartels (102 tackles, 2 INT), Corner Tarvoris Hill (63 tackles, 2 INT, 1 FF)

Up Next

Unsung Heroes and Freshman & Coach of the Year…
Back to the top

Re: 2010 Season Superlatives Part II - Biggest Win, Toughest Loss, & MVP's

JVC offensive MVP????? I know he had no line this year but the mistakes he made cost us bowl eligibility and a bowl game! And without Jean and Housler, he did nothing, unless thosr 7.5 yard per catch to the other wr's, te's and rb's was good. I respect his toughness and feel bad that this team and coaches probably cost him a shot at the pros, but no way is he O MVP!

Lester Jean by a country mile guys!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

JVC offensive MVP????? I know he had no line this year but the mistakes he made cost us bowl eligibility and a bowl game! And without Jean and Housler, he did nothing, unless thosr 7.5 yard per catch to the other wr's, te's and rb's was good. I respect his toughness and feel bad that this team and coaches probably cost him a shot at the pros, but no way is he O MVP!

Lester Jean by a country mile guys!

I agree with GA Owl. Has to be Jean. JVC just made too many mistakes which has nothing to do with the line. He doesn't know when to throw the ball away. He Holds on way too long, looking for someone to be open. He's got some pretty decent wheels on him. Take a glance, no ones open.. take off running. Don't hold onto the ball and get sacked time and time again and then fumble it away

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I just dont know, JVC didn't have a very good year.  He made some HUGE mistakes in clutch situation.  I think Jean wins that one too.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Ok, i didn't write this but have to agree given the fact someone had to throw the ball to Jean…and you must admit a couple were pretty nice tosses…

Also, this is the most valuable player spot we are taking about.

So, no JVC, then what??

0 wins.  That's what.
Back to the top

Rick said

Ok, i didn't write this but have to agree given the fact someone had to throw the ball to Jean…and you must admit a couple were pretty nice tosses…

So, no JVC, then what??

0 wins.  That's what.

I don't know about that. Yeah there were some pretty nice throws in there but what's to say Kooi or Wilbert couldn't have done the same thing. It's 1 thing to get the ball to Jean, it's another for Jean to catch it and make it to the end zone. We all know catching isn't a given on this team

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Rick said

So, no JVC, then what??

0 wins.  That's what.

You really think JVC won us 4 games Rick?  I am not saying I disagree, but I am not sure I agree either.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

2010 Season Superlatives Part II - Biggest Win, Toughest Loss, & MVP's

walty12 said

Rick said

So, no JVC, then what??

0 wins.  That's what.

You really think JVC won us 4 games Rick?  I am not saying I disagree, but I am not sure I agree either.

Just saying I don't think our back-ups would have won them…

And, we only had one (Kooi) for a good portion of the season…
Back to the top

Jean had a HUGE year and made highlight reel plays every game, but he wouldn’t have gotten the ball w/o Van Camp.

Look back at the USF game, how many times did JVC make plays running for his life? Or any game really… What about his 3 TD 0 INT performance in the one-point win against Louisiana?

Van Camp worked with an offensive line that was beaten up and inexperienced. He did throw 13 interceptions, but how many of those were tipped balls? Or him trying to make something out of nothing?

Lester was very productive, but maybe that was a product of the lack of playmaking ability around him on offense…
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

So, no JVC, then what??

0 wins.  That's what.

No way we would have managed 4 wins with Kooi or Wilbert under center.
Back to the top
Control functions: