Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

HIRE Mike Leach

HIRE Mike Leach

I think we should take a SERIOUS look at him. He lives in south Florida, or the Keys, or someplace close and he loves it. He's itching to get back into coaching and he's a winner. He's the complete opposite from Howard in that he's a very fiery coach who is not afraid to say whatever he feels like. I heard him on Paul and Young Ron a couple weeks ago and he seems ready to get back into coaching. Yes he's probably used to making over $1mil every year, however, he may accept a pay cut if he has the opportunity to coach again. Yes he'll probably leave once the first "big" job is open, but honestly, who wouldn't? You think just because we hire an offensive or defensive coordinator who has never coached before, that he'll stick around once bigger schools sees he has some success? Hiring Leach would keep us relevant in college football and I bet he keeps us winning year and year out. I don't know much about Texas Tech but it seems like the situation he got fired for was blown out of proportion because of Craig James. Anyways, here's his stats, pretty impressive when competing with Texas and Oklahoma for recruits and conference play.

* 10 consecutive winning seasons
    * 8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
    * 4 seasons with at least 9 wins[61]
    * 1 season with 11 wins
    * 9 consecutive bowl appearances[62]
    * 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)[62]
    * 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25[63]
    * 19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
    * 53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
    * 2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year[31]
    * 2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year[32]
    * Coached 1 Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best Wide Receiver) winner: Michael Crabtree (two-time winner)
    * Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Graham Harrell
    * Coached 1 Mosi Tatupu Award (Best Kick Returner) winner: Wes Welker
    * Coached 3 Sammy Baugh Trophy (Outstanding Quarterback) winners: Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, and Graham Harrell
    * More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach[8]
Back to the top

Re: HIRE Mike Leach

FAUfasho said

Yes he's probably used to making over $1mil every year, however, he may accept a pay cut if he has the opportunity to coach again.

To add to your VERY insight-filled list:

* Being paid $400 annually in severance pay for the next three years
Back to the top

I would choose Jim Leavitt over Leach.

Leavitt knows how to build a program and knows how to recruit in Florida.
Back to the top

i would hire leach. he's a very exciting coach and would draw fans for that purpose.

i would love it if they could hire one of these guys and be like, hey howard built this program, we're letting him open the stadium and next year its yours so go out and recruit.
Back to the top

I think we could be a very attractive program to him, especially if we market ourselves the right way, ie. strong recruiting ground, new stadium and I think if we want to get a big name coach, tell them that Howard established the foundation now we want YOU to take us to the next level/BCS bowl game. Some coaches might want that opportunity.
Back to the top

I like the idea as well, after next year (coach opens the new stadium..PERIOD!!) but I don't think we can afford him.  The reality is we don't have any money and this fiasco of a season isn't going to help that.

I believe we are going to have to focus on a young mid level offensive/defensive coordinator on his way up.  No one wants to hear that but that's reality.  That is of course unless you know someone willing to write big checks.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Well thought out...I must agree with this Leach could work
Back to the top

Lets be real here leach was in talks of being hired by major programs i know we are growing but there is not much we can offer Leach that 100 schools have
Back to the top

Right, its like people on this board dont realize that we pay our coach 1/10 of what a major university pays thiers.  Of course Mike Leach would be a good hire…so would John Gruden, problem is its not realistic.  With Howards resume its hardly realistic that he is our coach, we should be grateful.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

There are a lot of good coaches available right now. I think if any of them were actually interested we would have heard something by now. I still believe that our program has a lot of "built-ins" to assure a certain amount of success. A smart man would inquire about an opportunity in the near future, as I feel HS will step away at the end of 2011. 

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: