Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Early ESPN Bracketology

Add topic

Washington DC
    7Boston College
    10Arizona

2    Connecticut
  15 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Full Bracket

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Early ESPN Bracketology

They have us winning the belt because there's only 1 team from our conference. So I guess they have faith we will beat UNT. With the quality wins UNT has if this does hold true I find it hard to believe they wouldn't get an at large bid

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

That would be a dream match-up obviously Uconn is a very talented team but USF showed that they are vulnerable unlike playing Duke or Kentucky who are pretty much locks for the sweet 16
Back to the top

Yeah the overall RPI is going to kill the Belt...we should be a 13 seed, but have slipped seriously...to get a 15 spot is a sure fire dagger.
Back to the top

the team really has to dominate the belt and beat Manhattan to have a winning nonconference record.

If it dominates the belt and goes in with 23+ wins a 12 seed is realistic just because of any automatic conference bids that make a run and get in. But that's awhile away. The belt is so weak this year, I don't see why they can't win every home game and very few road loses.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

the team really has to dominate the belt and beat Manhattan to have a winning nonconference record.

If it dominates the belt and goes in with 23+ wins a 12 seed is realistic just because of any automatic conference bids that make a run and get in. But that's awhile away. The belt is so weak this year, I don't see why they can't win every home game and very few road loses.

Respectfully… A 12 seed is probably out of anyone's reach in the Sun Belt. Even if we at North Texas go 1 or 2 loss in conference AND win the tournament to finish 29-3 or 28-4, the godawful conference RPI and the impact that has over the course of 16 games will make us lucky to get a 13 seed.

Last year was a better OOC year for the Belt, North Texas finished with 24 wins, we were just 3 years removed from our last NCAA trip, and we still got stuck with a 15 seed.

Already sitting on 6 losses (and they are for the most part very respectable losses), FAU would have to probably go undefeated through conference and tournament AND get some regional priority assistance for a 13 seed. 27-6 MIGHT be enough to get in the 13 line, but even that's potentially wishful thinking. Lose more than 1 or 2 in league, and it's pretty much 15 seed territory because of the RPI situation.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is that the non-D1 wins do absolutely nothing and don't even register as wins for RPI or tournament seeding. Even a 16-0 sweep and 3 tournament wins only get you guys to 25 wins that "count" as far as the NCAA selection committee is concerned.
Back to the top

Early ESPN Bracketology

We knew that about the non D-1 wins, that's why we let Northwood beat us!  ;)
Back to the top

One can say that they don't count, but the fact of the matter is when they choose teams, you know 110% that it will be held against you behind closed doors if you lost to "Non-DI" schools…
Back to the top

Chicken Souvlaki,

good points. the only reason i think we could bump a bit is if a conference leaders do not win their conference tournaments and .500 team does, which would put us ahead of them. It happens ever year. with 26 wins i would be fairly confident of a 12 seed.

But after seeing this team live and the amount of points its been giving up, i'm not sold on them yet. The big men still need to improve against other big men and go to the basket. DePaul sucks and the Owls got pushed all around inside.
Back to the top

I've actually been hoping for a while that we'll go to the tournament and play in DC like the predictions say since that's where I live…DC is a fun place to visit.
Back to the top
Control functions: