Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU's Cristobal could leave the panthers' den

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2011/01/florida-internationals-mario-cristobal-could-be-on-pitts-coaching-radar.html

"According to a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report that says the list to replace recently fired coach Mike Haywood could include the FIU coach."
Back to the top

Re: FIU's Cristobal could leave the panthers' den

If he does leave that'll hurt them in recruiting. A lot of recruits will go elsewhere since they wanted to play for him. However I wouldn't put it past FIU to make a big splash of a hire. I know the Randy Shannon rumors were for FAU but I wouldn't be surprised if Cristobal left, if Shannon was the guy to replace him. Stays in Miami, they know he can recruit the area, probably wouldn't cost them a lot of money.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

^^ If that were to ever happen we had better get Leach or things could get ugly real fast.
Back to the top

I  agree, we have stepped up our "budget" already with the building of the stadium. If no one came to Lockhart, who cares, you could only lose so much per game. Now………..

We had better face the fact that moving up in the game  costs money, and moving up in conference will cost a lot of money. We either move forward by incrsing Coaching and recruiting budgets now or get left behind….in an 2/3 empty stadium with a huge finanacial commitment the program and school have to pay.
Back to the top

That would suck for them.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Depends on who they get. Do any Owl fans really think Cristobal is a good coach. we kicked his ass again, his team finished with their only winning record EVER this year at 7-6, and Toledo threw that bowl game away at that.

He recruits very well, I will say, that but if he goes to Pitt they go into the tank! They actually could be better off with Shannon or Leach just as we would be!

Leach has his issues but we will become the next Boise if he comes here with all of the S. Fl. talent he would get in here. We fill the stadium and begin stadium expansion immediately beginning after the new I-95 interchange is opened.

I truly beleive that would be the Owls immediate future (5 years) if we want it and go for it!

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

He has a 33% winning percent in the belt he's not going anywhere
Back to the top

FIU's Cristobal could leave the panthers' den

owlmart said

He has a 33% winning percent in the belt he's not going anywhere

Agreed.  For all the talk of how great this guy is, he's a failed 4th and 17 in a bowl game against Toledo from never having coached a team to a winning record.  He has one good win in his career (beating Troy on the road this season…albeit a "down" Troy team).  I personally have never been overly impressed with his coaching…or recruiting for that matter.  He got TY Hilton, sure, but the rest of his players? Does anyone see much difference between the players they get and our kids?  Plus, we own his team…even this year and we were pretty terrible this season.

Back to the top

Just listed a coaching search for Pitt on tv, Cristobal not listed!
Back to the top

I can't imagine he'd go anywhere. I mean, he has ONE winning season (barely) and the rest of them have been god awful in the worst conference in the country. If he wins a couple big games and goes 8-4 for the next two seasons then ya, he'll be gone, but until then he'll just continue to get beat by FAU til he's fired!
Back to the top
Control functions: