Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Student Media Director Resigned

Add topic

With all the drama going on between the staff of the University Press and the administration I'm a little surprised it took this long for Marti Harvey to leave.

http://owlmanagement.wordpress.com/

AEA
Back to the top

Re: FAU Student Media Director Resigned

FAU Student Media Director Resigned

dmarkey said

With all the drama going on between the staff of the University Press and the administration I'm a little surprised it took this long for Marti Harvey to leave.

http://owlmanagement.wordpress.com/

She's probably wanted to leave since it started but it probably took her some time before she could find another job.

In any case - it's about d*mn time. I'm glad she's gone. We can't have unqualified obstructionists preventing our inevitable growth/progress.
Back to the top

I don't know her and have no dog in this hunt, but it's for the best that she leaves.

I'm not sure what was worse - having a student media director with almost zero media and journalism experience, who exaggerated her resume and has a drug record; or a hiring process that produced such an unqualified administrator with so little sense of the importance of the job and such poor vetting by FAU.

FAU will never get an experienced, professional media director until the people doing the hiring understand what the position is supposed to accomplish, and pay the director a respectable salary. I'm not sure what she makes, but the assistant FAU has spent the better part of a year trying to hire coud make as much money delivering pizzas. That is a disgrace.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

I'm not sure what was worse - having a student media director with almost zero media and journalism experience, who exaggerated her resume and has a drug record; or a hiring process that produced such an unqualified administrator with so little sense of the importance of the job and such poor vetting by FAU.

Definitely the latter because it implies that FAU will employ the same inept process to hire an equally unqualified replacement.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

I'm not sure what she makes, but the assistant FAU has spent the better part of a year trying to hire coud make as much money delivering pizzas. That is a disgrace.

Bob,

Harvey makes $53,000/year. FAU actually maxed her out: That was the highest they could pay her, given the position's pay range.

Karla
Back to the top

That wasn't terrible pay, but wasn't her assistant going to be paid something like in the high 20s? That is insulting and guaranteed to draw unqualified applicants (as, I believe, we have seen).

Has that second job been filled yet? Do any of the applicants understand print journalism, the First Amendment or the separation of university and newspaper? Certainly, some on the hiring committee do not.

This has become a giant wart on FAU academics.
Back to the top

According to the blog, Terry Mena will serve as the interim adviser in place of Harvey and her "assistant" has not yet accepted the position.

Student Media - as a whole - is in disarray.
Back to the top

What's the latest? Is this a job no one wants or very few can afford to accept?
Back to the top

BMarkey said

What's the latest? Is this a job no one wants or very few can afford to accept?

It's probably the most contentious open position at FAU right now… I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fill it until Fall semester.
Back to the top
Control functions: