Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls Switching to a 3-4 Defense in 2011

Switch to a 3-4 a good move by the Owls?

Absolutley
Time Will Tell
No Way
Suit Up the Band

You must select between 1 and 28 options

Photo Bob Markey

Yes, it's true…

Florida Atlantic will be switching to a 3-4 scheme this year.

And for a couple of good reasons:

It was a Big talking point for LB recruits coming in, as noted in this article about Marcus Hagins, who gave his verbal commitment this past weekend.

And, as it is, the Owls simply aren't competing when it comes to finding quality on the line.

The move will give them more flexibillity to run blitzing schemes, as they were simply too predictable last season as well.

What says you, good or bad move??

Back to the top

Re: Owls Switching to a 3-4 Defense in 2011

Well, even though our defense has improved under Van V I think this is a great way to go.

Hopefully they watched film of schools that were able to stop the spread and took their playbooks!
Back to the top

Owls Switching to a 3-4 Defense in 2011

The 2010 defense really turned things around from a year ago. A scheme change could really throw things off for this progressing defense.
Back to the top

I think its a good idea we recruit LB's much better than we do DL but to pull it off successfully we need a really good NT not sure if we have that but coach knows best
Back to the top

I personally think it's a great idea!  This will give our defense the capability of covering the Spread Offenses that we face all to often.  Looking forward to these changes and improvements ;D

We must keep our opposition on their toes or hopefully on their backs!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I love the 3-4 (kind of partial because I'm a Patriots fan)  now we just need to find our Vince Wilfork!
Back to the top

A much better D for all the spread O's we see too! Don't worry about messing with the improving D, we lose  A LOT of starters so it is pretty much back to square one again anyhow.

Go Owl's!
Back to the top

The said

I love the 3-4 (kind of partial because I'm a Patriots fan)   now we just need to find our Vince Wilfork!

That is what worries me. While the 3-4 caters to a defense with speed, success in the 3-4 is heavily dependent upon having a monster at the nose. FAU has not traditionally had big D-linemen. It is going to be interesting to see how the issue is addressed.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

And lately the top NT's have been JC transfers, look at this year and how the big boy schools are fighting for DT's from the JC's to transfer.

Another thing we HAVE TO change is our REFUSAL to recruit JC transfers. The fastest way to plug holes or build depth at any position.

Anyhow, GO Owl's!
Back to the top

Wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Martin Wright, who played DE last year moved to LB.

Him or Cory Henry could thrive in that hybrid LB/DE pass rushing spot.
Back to the top
Control functions: