Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kane makes college commitment

After leading the Raiders (11-2) to the best season in school history, Kane has given his verbal commitment to Florida Atlantic. He joins a string of area quarterbacks to make the jump to FAU, following in the footsteps of Navarre’s Jeff Van Camp (2006) and Catholic’s David Kooi (2008), who is the heir apparent to replace Van Camp as the Owls’ starter next season.

Kane made an official visit to Boca Raton 10 days ago. His player host was FAU offensive lineman Jimmie Colley, a former Pace High standout.

Full Article

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Kane makes college commitment

Nice article, but it eats at me that the kid chose W. Mich. because "Thomas said that the WMU coaches have told him he will compete for a starting position as a true freshman".

True or not, it is what most very good players want to hear, and they know they don't have that opportunity very much here!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Nice article, but it eats at me that the kid chose W. Mich. because "Thomas said that the WMU coaches have told him he will compete for a starting position as a true freshman".

True or not, it is what most very good players want to hear, and they know they don't have that opportunity very much here!

It shouldn't eat at you. How many schools lie about it to sign that player, hoping that if playing time was his prime motivation, he's not going to transfer since that means he'd have to sit out another year anyway.

The reality is that when FAU really needed bodies, we pushed freshman into action (case in point: Hinds). So it does happen here – particularly on the lines and in defensive positions. And sometimes it works out. But you can't wail against the "diamond in the rough" philosophy while at the same time saying "stick true freshman in our problem areas, maybe one of them will be good enough to make it worth it. You know, a diamond in the rough."

And we may complain about why not this "three star" WR or that "stud" RB when we're stacked at those spots? Come on. We're not coaches. How long have you been developing players? Our coaches have been doing it day in and day out for years, sometimes decades. Let's assume for a minute that they know what they're talking about when they say things like, "Each level of the game is different, college is faster than high school, college players are bigger, you need time to develop, to get bigger and faster and smarter about the game."

After all, why else would they hold them back and redshirt them – so they could purposely lose games? What would be the point in that?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

GeorgiaOwl said

After all, why else would they hold them back and redshirt them – so they could purposely lose games? What would be the point in that?
because Howard doesn't know what he's doing!! He's out of touch! He recruited Rusty Smith, no stars!!! Lester Jean was a 4.9 40 WR coming from high school, he'll NEVER get faster! Rob Housler, no stars. 

Were seriously looking at getting 4 players on rosters in the NFL this offseason and you guys think that they don't know what they're doing. Laughable
Back to the top

One answer; 8 wins, 7 wins, 5 wins, 4 wins

That is a bad trend also highlighted by the fact that somehow FAU has the 4th LEAST signings over the past 5 years - why and how is that??? Do we have scholorship restriction on us by the NCAA the nobody is aware of???
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

One answer; 8 wins, 7 wins, 5 wins, 4 wins

What? You're clearly not listening.
Back to the top

Kane has suddenly become a 3-star rated player by Rivals.  I don't think he had any stars yesterday…proving once again that the star rating system is practically useless.
Back to the top

Kane makes college commitment

fauowls44 said

Kane has suddenly become a 3-star rated player by Rivals.  I don't think he had any stars yesterday…proving once again that the star rating system is practically useless.

I heard he was up practicing all night long.  ;D
Back to the top

Just crazy.

Yet EVERYONE judges a class and the coachs ability to recurit by this "system".

I myself get caught up each year with the stars to a degree, and then something like this happens.

Unless a player is a 4 or 5 star there is no real research done it would appear.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Nobody is claiming the star system is an exact science…but we have a bunch of 2 and no stars and had 4 wins and were one of the worst teams in the country teams like Oregon, OSU, FSU, OU, etc have a plethora of 4 and 5 star recruits and are among the best teams in the country even Boise State and TCU have a couple 4 star recruits on the roster. While great recruiting classes don't guarantee success its not a coincidence that the top 25 teams year in and year out are not made up of 2 and no star recruits.
Back to the top
Control functions: