Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger adapts to recruiting changes

Good read…especially like this part:

"Some of the tricks and stunts Schnellenberger pulled included showing up to Miami high schools in a helicopter, prompting the NCAA to create the necessary legislation to outlaw it."

;D

Full Story Here
Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger adapts to recruiting changes

Here's the best part:

On recruiting services

"With all the recruiting services offered, a lot of programs let them do the groundwork that we have our assistant coaches do during spring football."

I truly believe that Van V can offer a much better assessment than some dude in his mom's basement running Scout.com…stars or no stars.
Back to the top

"I truly believe that Van V can offer a much better assessment than some dude in his mom's basement running Scout.com…stars or no stars."

Teambeer I beg to disagree.  Let's look at the product in the field the last two years. These coaches need to go. I like the changes they have made for next year, but come on; they needed to get with the program several of years back.
Back to the top

FAU said

"I truly believe that Van V can offer a much better assessment than some dude in his mom's basement running Scout.com…stars or no stars."

Teambeer I beg to disagree.  Let's look at the product in the field the last two years. These coaches need to go. I like the changes they have made for next year, but come on; they needed to get with the program several of years back.

I don't know.  I'm not saying you are completely wrong, but to say we have struggled the past 2 years because we don't recruit enough "star players" is silly.  That system has been proven unreliable at best.

Two years ago, we had one of the best offenses in the nation, but the D stunk.  A lot of the D's problem in 2009 seemed to have been scheme related, as they improved to 85th in total defense this past year under a different coach.  Troy finished 3 spots below us at 88th.  Not that being 85th is great, but it shows that the problems weren't merely lack of talent and Coach took action to improve the situation.

This past season, the big problem was very specific…the offensive line.  The skill position players were more then good enough.  Granted, that is on the coaching staff to not allow that level of drop off to happen at such an important position, but my point is that the team's lack of success lately is not necessarily an indictment of the staff's overall recruiting ability.
Back to the top

Schnellenberger adapts to recruiting changes

Does it hurt us recruiting-wise that Schnelly is in the final year of his contract at FAU?
Back to the top

Appearantly not...besides, no one has said "this is his last year"...
Back to the top

I imagine other teams do use that against us, but I'm sure we do the same thing.  For example, if a recruit is considering us and FIU, I'm sure our coaches mention that Cristobal apparently interviewed for Pitt and could leave if they have another good year.  It goes both ways.  Besides, most people tell recruits to choose the school, not the coach.  You never know how long any of these guys will be in one place. 
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I imagine other teams do use that against us, but I'm sure we do the same thing.  For example, if a recruit is considering us and FIU, I'm sure our coaches mention that Cristobal apparently interviewed for Pitt and could leave if they have another good year.  It goes both ways.  Besides, most people tell recruits to choose the school, not the coach.  You never know how long any of these guys will be in one place.

An opinion from a Dawg fan here:

Howard was/is the "right coach at the right time" for your program. The program is light years ahead of where it would have been without him. That said, he ain't getting any younger, and if any team would benefit from the "HCIW" designation, it would be y'all. That would ensure recruits that they are buying into the system as well as the man. Howard and the AD should be scouring the nation to find a suitable protégé…

I like your program and wish y'all success. The better y'all and the other "small" Florida schools do, the more you will dillude the talent at the majors. Good luck…

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Back to the top

HRD said

An opinion from a Dawg fan here:

Howard was/is the "right coach at the right time" for your program. The program is light years ahead of where it would have been without him. That said, he ain't getting any younger, and if any team would benefit from the "HCIW" designation, it would be y'all. That would ensure recruits that they are buying into the system as well as the man. Howard and the AD should be scouring the nation to find a suitable protégé…

Well said, my point exactly.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I'd have to agree with HRD.  Yes, Schelly is getting a little long in the tooth, but if it wasn't for his name and history, we would be nowhere right now.  I do think that we are a perfect school to have someone join the staff this year as an assistant, get familiar with the new team, and then be named HCIW for next year, or the year after.  I think that would give us the best of all worlds as in allowing current coach to open his new house, keep his name recognition, and offer players some continuity for the next couple years. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: