Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jarvis unhappy with turnout to last night's game

Add topic

After the game, Jarvis had his usual post game press conference. This is what he had to say about the crowd:

"It’s better, but it’s nowhere near where it has to be," Jarvis said. "We are still not promoting this program the way it needs to be promoted. The students have done a great job, but our school, our university, our athletic department has got to do a better job promoting the program. We can’t be the best kept secret in Boca. We should have every middle school, every elementary school, youth league and there should be groups coming here in waves coming through here every night. I wouldn’t care if we were giving the tickets away because we could make money at the concession stand.

This team at this time deserves more people in attendance and deserves for people to know that they are playing much better than is being done, Jarvis said. "We have to step it up. I’m not satisfied with this. I want these kids to play in front of crowds like they played in front of Saturday"

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Jarvis unhappy with turnout to last night's game

It sounds like he has been reading this board. :) Right on, Coach.

The crowd last night was decent, but for this team and its accomplishments, I was disappointed in the turnout.
Back to the top

"We should have every middle school, every elementary school, youth league and there should be groups coming here in waves coming through here every night. I wouldn’t care if we were giving the tickets away because we could make money at the concession stand."

That's EXACTLY what I said! There's at least 3 public High Schools in East Boca why not give tickets to their BBall teams (JV and Varsity), Church youth groups, Jewish youth groups, Muslim youth groups I don't care! Just get people to the game. Don't say how do we know they're not already doing that because even Jarvis knows they're not.

There's no way that if a H.S. BBall coach was given free tickets for his team to come a Thursday night game at FAU that they aren't going to show up if they aren't playing in their own game that night. Obviously they like basketball or why else are they playing. Hell I'd even invite Lynn's BBall team to a game if they aren't playing that night. Worst that happens is they say no

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

On the bright side, the number of press covering games has grown.

The Treasure Coast Newspapers (Stuart News, Port St. Lucie News, Fort Pierce Tribune and Vero Beach Press Journal, among others) have had a writer, Jim Saturday, and their sports editor, Mike Graham (who lives in Boca) at the past two games, at least.

It's crazy that a paper with headquarters in Stuart and Port St. Lucie would staff a game with two people (and run photos, provided by me), while the Palm Beach Post barely covers FAU basketball (usually relying on the Sun-Sentinel and Ted Hutton's work), with no photos.
Back to the top

IT BE SOME BULL!  :o
Back to the top

This is the model the Florida Panthers follow and it seems to work for them! They give tickets away, still get you for $10 to park and another $50 in concessions.

While we on the subject, can we please improve that at the Burrow? Concessions are pretty pathetic. We could actually make some money if we had what the movie theatres are able to offer around here…it's not rocket science!
Back to the top

TeamBeerr said

This is the model the Florida Panthers follow and it seems to work for them! They give tickets away, still get you for $10 to park and another $50 in concessions.

While we on the subject, can we please improve that at the Burrow? Concessions are pretty pathetic. We could actually make some money if we had what the movie theatres are able to offer around here…it's not rocket science!
Yea man, at the panthers game, I paid $10 for a rum and coke in an 12 oz cup filled with ice..
Back to the top

They've got more of a winner in their business model than they do with their team!
Back to the top

Jarvis unhappy with turnout to last night's game

Coach, be patient - but still let them know you expect more out of them, that is cool - in a year we will have another 1200 students on campus and hopefully in a very short while, another 1200, and those students will come to the arena and support their Owl's. Your on-campus base is fixin to grow very soon, by next season in fact! It won't be long to most games are sell-outs - but try not to schedule many (any) games when campus is deserted though - play your away games and tourneys then! In fact, it won't be long til we are building a real 10K arena on campus for the BB Owl's!

Great job by you, your coaches and the Owl's players, you are making us very proud - GO Owl's!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Coach, be patient - but still let them know you expect more out of them, that is cool - in a year we will have another 1200 students on campus and hopefully in a very short while, another 1200, and those students will come to tha arena and support their Owl's. Your on-campus base is fixin to grow very soon, by next season in fact! It won't be long to most games are sell-outs - but try not to schedule many (any) games when campus is deserted though - play your away games and tourneys then!

Great job by you, your coaches and the Owl's players, you are making us very proud - GO Owl's!

+1
Back to the top
Control functions: