Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Sentinal article ranks the state of Florida's recruiting

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/nationworld/wire/os-national-signing-day-running-0203-20110202,0,1325164.story

"FAU: D

One 3-star player and 23 2-stars does not a Sun Belt champion make. What's more disappointing about this class is that the Owls are opening a brand new facility that was supposed to help lure some talent. It started good as Miami Central transfer WB Rakeem Cato, who led the Rockets to the 6A title, committed to the Owls early. But he decommitted for Marshall at mid-season. Even Orlando Freedom offensive lineman Josue Joseph left for Marshall. A sad start for a new era."

Thoughts?
Back to the top

Re: Sun Sentinal article ranks the state of Florida's recruiting

If you were to judge by stars I would give it a D as well...but if they had more than glanced at our rivals page they would at least know its 2 3 star players
Back to the top

Sun Sentinal article ranks the state of Florida's recruiting

Just an FYI – I had nothing to do with this grade.

Wish I would have been asked, but never was.

Is losing one recruit a Marshall such a big freakin' deal? They got one to decommit from Memphis, which more than cancels that out, IMHO.

I have lobbied that we shouldn't be giving grades on recruiting classes (or drafts) until we can really judge the class.

We'll see where this group is in two years. My guess is they will be more like a B than a D.

/ ted
Back to the top

Hope that you are correct Ted.    :o
Back to the top

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that article is false. Rakeem Cato was never committed to FAU, they have us mixed up with FIU
Back to the top

Although everyone probably knows I don't love the recruiting class - once I saw that article mention Cato as a FAU recruit I tuned it out.
Back to the top

Ted said

Just an FYI – I had nothing to do with this grade.

Wish I would have been asked, but never was.

Just another example of why all the recruiting talk is a bunch of garbage.

The Orlando Sentinel doesn't even ask the beat reporter for the Owls to comment on the Owls recruiting.

It's because people writing about recruiting do not know anything about recruiting but they know people love to read about it.  People write and talk about recruiting but have never even seen the players play.  They regurgitate junk from other sources and come up with their own opinions based on nothing.  And foolish people believe garbage.

I have no clue whether any of our recruits are any good.  How would I know?–I have never seen them play.
Back to the top

Good post!

I vote that from now on when we debate recruiting everybody prefaces thier post with "I have never seen any of these guys play football but in my opinion…."

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

fauowl said

It's because people writing about recruiting do not know anything about recruiting but they know people love to read about it.  People write and talk about recruiting but have never even seen the players play.  They regurgitate junk from other sources and come up with their own opinions based on nothing.  And foolish people believe garbage.

The journalists trust that the scouting sites know what they are talking about. This isn't exclusive to recruiting; for instance, if a journalist publishes a story about a new pill that cures melanoma, they have to trust that the scientists know what they're talking about too - they weren't there in the lab doing research either.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

fauowl said

The journalists trust that the scouting sites know what they are talking about. This isn't exclusive to recruiting; for instance, if a journalist publishes a story about a new pill that cures melanoma, they have to trust that the scientists know what they're talking about too - they weren't there in the lab doing research either.

I think evaluating the talent of a highschool senior is a little different than the efficacy of a drug…little stricter guidelines on the latter.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: