Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Garrett Wittels' playing status unclear

Garrett Wittels' playing status unclear

MIAMI – Shortstop Garrett Wittels' status for the start of Florida International's season – when he was to resume pursuit of the NCAA Division I record hitting streak – remains unclear after he was charged in a rape case in the Bahamas in December.

Wittels has a 56-game hitting streak and is chasing the 1987 record of 58 straight games with a hit, set by Robin Ventura of Oklahoma State. FIU opens its season Feb. 18.

But there's more hanging over Wittels than the continuation of the streak.

The university's decision on Wittels' status is expected next week, although the rape charge will likely be pending for several months.

Wittels declined to discuss specifics of the case in an interview with The Associated Press, on advice of his attorneys. He was freed on $10,000 bond and allowed to return home without entering a plea. Bahamian officials do not plan to begin a preliminary evidentiary inquiry until April.

"The day that everything came out, that was the hardest day of my life," Wittels said. Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Garrett Wittels' playing status unclear

If he is innocent I hope this is resolved quickly and the kid can move on, if he is not innocent....wow.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: