Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Season Lows

Add topic

Defense absent as the Owls drop their first conference road game

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong as Florida Atlantic (18-8, 10-2) was routed  by Denver 69-42 on Thursday night to fall to 0-4 at Magness Arena all time.

The Owls saw season lows in field goals made, total points, three point percentage, three pointers, and rebounds.

Not helping matters was an 11-of-25 performance from the free throw line.

“Not a very good effort in any one category tonight. It was a total team effort. As good as we’ve played as a team, tonight we played that bad as a team. That’s where you start, and that’s where you end”, said coach Mike Jarvis on the loss.

After a close start, the Pioneers (12-12, 8-3) gained momentum the remainder of the first half behind 63.6% shooting to lead in double digits 34-21 at halftime.

Matters continued into the second as the Owls struggled to contain Denver’s scoring efforts, never getting closer than 10 points.

Starting in place of Kore White, Jordan McCoy was the lone Owl in double figures with 12 points to go with five rebounds in 22 minutes of action.

Chase Hallam’s 18 points led Denver, who dominated 29-21 on the glass and scored 17 points off of 12 FAU turnovers.

Florida Atlantic next plays host to Louisiana this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at FAU Arena.
Back to the top

Re: Season Lows

What do we have to do to earn a first round bye now that Denver beat us?
Back to the top

Yikes.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

It was a very ugly game,pretty disappointing to the 15 or so Owl fans in attendance. The performance was out of synch, listless. The guys looked confused by the Denver offense (and surprised by Denver's shooting), and simply could not penetrate the Denver defense. I'm not so sure one could blame the elevation. Though it usually is a factor, it affects young, well-conditioned athletes less than older and less well conditioned people. I think lack of effort was a significant factor (and it decreased as the game got further and further out of hand). All in all, it was a very forgettable game, and I hope the Owls put it behind them.
Back to the top

We need to defend the perimeter more.

Our defense has been exposed by FIU and Denver…..name of the game is pass the ball to defeat the Owl's Defense.

Back to the top

We're a drive and kick, or drive and finish team predominantly.

It worked the first 8 minutes, then fell apart…….
Back to the top

OWL4EVER said

We clinch a bye with a win over UL, or an MTSU loss…
Back to the top

Rick said

OWL4EVER said

We clinch a bye with a win over UL, or an MTSU loss…

I dont see the loss coming at home this weekend….although i did not see the FIU game being that close either.
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

I dont see the loss coming at home this weekend….although i did not see the FIU game being that close either.

I don't either, however don't discount ULL.  They have won 6 straight…and we give up some advantages of home court because while ULL has been in town a few days, we have to fly in from Denver for our own home game.  Horrible scheduling.
Back to the top

Season Lows

I hope that they can shake it off!  The worry I have is that psychologically the Denver game could hurt them mentally and they could struggle in the Sunbelt tournament.  Let's hope that they pull it together and beat ULL handily ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: