Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

MTSU Women's BBall player fatally stabbed

Roommate Charged In Murder Of MTSU Basketball Player - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Murfreesboro police are investigating a fatal stabbing of an Middle Tennessee State University women's basketball player at an off-campus apartment complex.

The victim is reportedly 21-year-old Clantina Stewart. She is a junior at MTSU, and is originally from Memphis.

Police were called to Raiders Crossing Apartment on Hazelwood Street around 7:00 p.m .Wednesday. Police said that two females assaulted Stewart. Stewart was taken to Middle Tennessee Medical Center where she died from her injuries.

One of the suspects was apprehended at the scene, while the second is on the run. Police do not have a concrete description of the suspect.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Murfreesboro Police Department at 615-849-2670 or dial 911

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: MTSU Women's BBall player fatally stabbed

That's awful  >:(

Condolences from an FAU fan. Hope they can catch the other suspect!
Back to the top

owlcountry said

That's awful  >:(

Condolences from an FAU fan. Hope they can catch the other suspect!

Second…

Godspeed.
Back to the top

http://www.dnj.com/article/20110303/BLUERAIDERS03/110303014/-1/UPDATES/MTSU+players+will+to+decide+whether+to+play+in+tourney

MTSU players will to decide whether to play in tourney

MURFREESBORO — MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro is meeting with all of the university student-athletes today on campus in wake of the death of women’s basketball player Tina Stewart.

The MTSU women’s team is scheduled to leave Friday for the Sun Belt Conference tournament in Hot Springs, Ark. However, those plans aren’t etched in stone now.

The MTSU women’s team will decide if it is going to play in the tournament, MTSU associate athletic director/athletic communications Mark Owens said.

Stewart was murdered at her apartment on Wednesday evening, and her roommate, Shanterrica Madden, was later arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Select players and coaches will be made available later today. A vigil for Stewart will be held at 6 p.m. at Murphy Center.
Back to the top

MTSU Women's BBall player fatally stabbed

Hope the argument was an important one.  That is a brutal story.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I hope they do end up playing in the tournament. I don't know the girl but I would assume any athlete would want what's best for their team.

Its just so sad that you have to kill your roommate. What can be so important that its worth killing someone over and spending the rest of your life in jail

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Its just so sad that you have to kill your roommate. What can be so important that its worth killing someone over and spending the rest of your life in jail

we just had one last month up here of the same, some guy not only killed but cut his roommate into tiny pieces and then called 911 to confess…. said he had too much mucinex DM…  :o
Back to the top

Lady Raiders are playing for Stewart….

http://www.dnj.com/article/20110303/BLUERAIDERS03/110303024/Lady-Raiders-opt-to-play-for-Stewart

That is good to hear! Wish their team, the school and the families best of luck!!!!
Back to the top

Not taking sides here, and think the whole thing is quite tragic, but one thing that comes out in this is that the knife used to kill her was her own - taken from her during the scuffle…which means she tried/intended to use it on the roomate.

So, the roomate is going to have self defense in the mix for sure as a defense strategy.

Think 1st degree murder will be tough to prove.

“Miss Stewart, who was an athlete, had Miss Madden down on the ground beating on her,” Brandon said. “Miss Madden has an abrasion above her left eye, looks like perhaps a fingernail. She has swelling to both of her eyes. And during the course of the fight, a knife belonging to Miss Stewart that was in Miss Stewart’s possession ended up getting used on Miss Stewart.”

Link
Back to the top

She's out on $100,000 bond…interesting
Back to the top
Control functions: