Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Retired FAU educators killed in rollover wreck

Add topic

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/boca-raton/fl-boca-couple-dead-in-sc-20110217,0,6422353.story

Retired Florida Atlantic University employees David and Sandy Lowe died on Wednesday when their Ford Explorer overturned on Interstate 95, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

"I'm just absolutely horrified, as is everybody here at FAU," said university spokeswoman Lynn Laurenti.

The part-time Boca Raton residents, who retired to the Puget Sound area of Washington state in 2004, were driving to Washington D.C. for a grandchild's birthday party when the accident occurred, according to long-time friend Mary Dean.

"We had dinner with them last Friday and Saturday night," Dean said. "They left on Wednesday morning to head up to the Washington [D.C.] area and they told us they were going to spend the night in Florence, South Carolina."
Rider hits bus driver across face in Oakland Park. See the video here.

David Lowe, 69, and his wife Sandy, 66, were driving north on I-95 about 35 miles southwest of Florence when David Lowe lost control. The SUV overturned and landed on the east side of the interstate around 5:16 p.m., South Carolina Highway Patrol trooper Billy Elder said.

Sandy Lowe died at the scene and David Lowe was airlifted to a hospital in Florence, where he later died, troopers reported.

Both were wearing seat belts, according to troopers. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

David Lowe was the Associate Vice President for Development at FAU, who focused on fund raising for about 15 years. Sandy Lowe was an adjunct professor of English "who connected with many students as a mentor to help them move ahead," according to Laurenti.

"He was extremely intelligent and he understood all of the financial aspects of the university," Laurenti said. "But he also had a very big heart and he wanted to help as many people as he could."

Dean said the Lowes were familiar with long drives because they drove from Washington state through San Diego to Boca Raton last Thanksgiving.

"Their connection to Boca was a strong connection and they had a lot of friends in the Boca area and they were prominent at Florida Atlantic University," Dean said.

Laurenti said the university felt the same way.

"We all feel such a deep connection to David and Sandy and this is just devastating," she said.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Retired FAU educators killed in rollover wreck

Retired FAU educators killed in rollover wreck

Oh man this is terrible. I knew David and he was a great guy. RIP.
Back to the top

So sorry to hear of this! And as a grandparent, especially with the circumstances. Our prayers for them and thier family!
Back to the top

Memorial Service to be held today at 4:00 p.m., Boca Campus:

Details
Back to the top
Control functions: