Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU's freshman applications double

Add topic

"Freshman applications nearly doubled from last year, up from 10,934 a year ago to 21,283 last week, officials said. Most other state universities are reporting applications are flat or up 3 to 5 percent."

Full Story

Back to the top

Re: FAU's freshman applications double

FAU's freshman applications double

Only good things come from this…it's amazing news. With the influx of applications we are able to increase admissions standards thus improving our reputation. I can only hope to think all of the on campus improvements have led to this.
Back to the top

I posted this you can merge if you want
Back to the top

Just thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update…

FAU received over 27,000 applications for the Fall term. We admitted about 9,500 of them (the total # of APPLICATIONS last year was just over 10,000) and we received about 3,500 tuition deposits from incoming Freshman. MJS wants the total # of students to go up about 5-6000 in the next few years and this is the start of it. We got about 1,000 more incoming Freshman than ever before.

My boss told me that we'd still accepting people for Fall around this time in years past but because we are SO full for the Fall we've had to turn away lots of people.

Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Just thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update…

FAU received over 27,000 applications for the Fall term. We admitted about 9,500 of them (the total # of APPLICATIONS last year was just over 10,000) and we received about 3,500 tuition deposits from incoming Freshman. MJS wants the total # of students to go up about 5-6000 in the next few years and this is the start of it. We got about 1,000 more incoming Freshman than ever before.

My boss told me that we'd still accepting people for Fall around this time in years past but because we are SO full for the Fall we've had to turn away lots of people.

Good News!

Now your job (and your boss's) is to make sure that all these newborn Owls know that Saturdays in the Fall is GAMEDAY. Unless you have to work, you should expect to be at the game. We need all those folks filling our new burrow up!

I have no doubts you are up to the task!  ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FAUfasho said

FAU received over 27,000 applications for the Fall term. We admitted about 9,500 of them…

:o :o :o
Back to the top

Wow! FAUfasho, what's MJS' enrollment goal, 35k? More students = better experience for everyone.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Wow! FAUfasho, what's MJS' enrollment goal, 35k? More students = better experience for everyone.

I imagine its something close to that. I think we're about 26,000 or so across all campus so she probably wants to get somewhere near 35,000. The next few years should be pretty exciting. Imagine the excitement around FAU if our sports teams can provide us with something to cheer for!

Also I'll give you guys an example of the higher requirements. I had a student today who applied in March with a 3.0 GPA and a good SAT score. He got moved to Spring because by that time we were only taking students with a 3.3 or so with a higher SAT/ACT score. We would have taken him for the Fall with no problem in years past.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

owlcountry said

I imagine its something close to that. I think we're about 26,000 or so across all campus so she probably wants to get somewhere near 35,000. The next few years should be pretty exciting. Imagine the excitement around FAU if our sports teams can provide us with something to cheer for!

Also I'll give you guys an example of the higher requirements. I had a student today who applied in March with a 3.0 GPA and a good SAT score. He got moved to Spring because by that time we were only taking students with a 3.3 or so with a higher SAT/ACT score. We would have taken him for the Fall with no problem in years past.

Hopefully the University works on retention.  We seem to bring in the students their freshman year but loose them fairly quickly, our retention rate is atrocious.
Back to the top

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

FAU - tuition breakdown

FAU could be sitting a lot better if this trend keeps up.
Back to the top
Control functions: