Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM's Frank Haith heading to Missouri

Add topic

University of Miami basketball coach Frank Haith is leaving to take the same job at Missouri.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/apr/03/haith-agrees-principle-take-missouri-job/.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: UM's Frank Haith heading to Missouri

This move doesn't make much sense to me. Why would Mizzou go after a middle of the pack ACC coach? Seems like Mizzou fans are pretty upset judging by twitter. Also, I would not at all be surprised if Coach Jarvis leaves if UM offers him the job, and in my opinion, why wouldn't they? They'd be getting a coach with years of NCAA tourney experience from just up the road. And in my mind, why wouldn't Jarvis take it? He'd have all the resources he could want and I know he'd love the opportunity to coach against Duke and NC, plus he'd still be in south Florida, which it seems, is where he wants to spend his retirement years. Hopefully Jarvis is faithful to staying at FAU but this makes me REALLY nervous as an owl fan!

Edit:

After reading more about it, there are a couple other coaches who would probably be considered over Jarvis, number one is Shaka Smart. Miami might want to go with a younger, more fire-y coach than with an older guy, also, I saw Bruce Pearl thrown out there too, although I doubt UM (or any other school) would take a chance on him so soon after getting fired. So there still remains hope for Jarvis here, but wait…what if Angelos gets AD job? And takes Jarvis away? hmm….
Back to the top

I thought I'd post some tweets about the news..some of them are pretty funny

"No hard feelings toward Frank Haith but I think this may work out better for both sides."
"Missouri S&T wouldn't have hired Frank Haith but he was good enough for Alden"
"Just got a message from a friend THRILLED that Mizzou hired Frank Haith. My friend is a Miami fan"
"As a Miami alum, you want nothing to do with Frank Haith."
"If Missouri has really hired Frank Haith, Mike Alden better have the Explanation of the Century."
"Frank Haith to Missouri? I hate to pile on but this is not a good hire"
"Just saw my first "Yeah, but Frank Haith has a great personality" tweet. #thatwasfast"

….and my personal favorite: "Frank Haith… We are so f&^$ed. #firemikealden"

Back to the top

UM's Frank Haith heading to Missouri

I would be worried about Jarvis leaving.
Back to the top

I wouldn't…but, hey just an "opnion" :)
Back to the top

Its not exactly like Miami is a huge Basketball school.

They do have the benefit of ACC play and bigger names, but from a fan base perspecitve they are just as apathetic as FAU's used to be. I mean look at the NIT game, We brought almost as many as they did and ours were FAR louder and visable.

Not sure how much money it would take but we have to be realistic. If money is the determining factor for any of our coachs there is nothing we can do to keep them.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I think there's more of a chance that Matt McCall leaves to go to UF than Jarvis to Miami. I think they're going to look to make a big splash of a hire like a Bruce Pearl or go after Shaka Smart (VCU coach).

Of course just my opinion, but I think Jarvis likes the challenge of building FAU into a respectable mid major program. Maybe it gives him a sense of accomplishment, knowing where it was before to where it has the possibility of going with him as the coach

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I read today that Shaka Smart is staying at VCU and I don't know why UM would take a chance on Pearl, I mean, the guy openly lied to the NCAA. However, I do think that UM will go after a younger coach and if they can't find one then they'll go after Jarvis. Haith was making $1mil a year, and that's for a middle of the pack ACC team. UM fans are like all south Florida fans, win and the place will be packed, lose (or not be ranked) and no one will be there. If Jarvis does what he's done at FAU then UM fans will show up in droves.
Back to the top
Control functions: