Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM Could Name Coach by Monday - Jarvis Not Mentioned

Add topic

According to the Miami Herald, UM could name their next basketball head coach by as soon as Monday. In this article it gives a list of coaches who are assumed to be the front runners. Jarvis' name is not on that list.

The search for a new University of Miami basketball coach is going quickly, according to several sources, and there could be a hire as early as Monday or Tuesday.
Acting athletic director Tony Hernandez and search committee chairman Paul DiMare have traveled to Atlanta to meet with the Parker Executive Search firm, and are said to have narrowed the list to a few finalists.
Names that have emerged are University of Alabama-Birmingham's Mike Davis, Murray State's Billy Kennedy, Harvard's Tommy Amaker, Richmond's Chris Mooney, and John Capel and John Pelphrey, both of whom were recently fired, Capel by Oklahoma and Pelphrey by Arkansas.

Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: UM Could Name Coach by Monday - Jarvis Not Mentioned

Good! Leave our man alone! Go Owl's!
Back to the top

UM Could Name Coach by Monday - Jarvis Not Mentioned

Its going to be hard to retain him in the long run I dont care how much he says he wants to be here...but I think were safe for at least one more season
Back to the top

I don't agree. The man isn't in his early 40s looking to get that big coaching job or that big paycheck.

He's going to be 66 in a few days. If we lose him to anything, it'll be retirement. I don't think he's going to go anywhere. If he was in it for the money he wouldn't be at FAU. He would've either held out for a better job or bolted at the first chance he got

Back to the top

I agree but I pray we are right and that he stays here til he decides to retire (after the new arena is built and the court is named for him)  and turns the program over to his son in say 5 to 7 years!
Back to the top

dream big right! i hope we are all right here!
Back to the top

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Jarvis can finish his career here.  He does like the area and has made a home here.  It will take the athletics department stepping up with an extension and more cash though.  He should be making closer to what the top paid SBC coaches are pulling in.
Back to the top

The community and students need to be on the hook for taking this program to the next level.  Create a demand for a legitimate basketball program.  Show up.

Our 1,800 fans have been a huge improvement (I remember going to games with about 150), but we need sellouts to force the issue.  1,800 will not take this program any further.

Look at Butler.  The school has only 4,600 students.  They were averaging about 6,000 fans per game 3 years ago before they were ever known like they are today.

People wonder how tiny Butler can have a bigger basketball budget than FAU.  That's how.  Students and the community go to games.  They generate revenue.
Back to the top

I understand what you're saying and to a point I agree.

However, you gotta remember Butler is in Indiana. They eat, sleep, and breathe basketball up there. The only professional team playing at the same time is the Pacers, and honestly who wants to watch them?

Back to the top

Jab979 said

I understand what you're saying and to a point I agree.

However, you gotta remember Butler is in Indiana. They eat, sleep, and breathe basketball up there. The only professional team playing at the same time is the Pacers, and honestly who wants to watch them?

I totally agree.  I grew up in Indiana eating, sleeping, and breathing basketball.

That's why I keep stressing the difficulty ahead to build our program.  I don't care who our coach is…our students and community have to decide if they want this program to move to another level.  That is how we will keep the coach we want.  That is how we will build the facility we want.
Back to the top
Control functions: