Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Housler Expected to Compete for Starting Job

Add topic

The Arizona Cardinals have selected a tight end before the seventh round for the first time since Ken Whisenhunt became head coach in 2007.

Ben Patrick (2007) and Jim Dray (2010) were seventh-round choices.

Rob Housler, chosen in the third round Friday (69th overall), gives the Cardinals a 6-foot-5, 249-pound prospect to groom as a starter. The team hasn't selected a tight end this early since selecting Johnny McWilliams with the 64th choice in 1996.

Tight end was a position I thought Arizona might address earlier in previous drafts under Whisenhunt, a former NFL tight end.

Full Article

The overall reaction to Housler, has been confusion. I've read from multiple websites that they think he's a good athlete and he deserves to be drafted, but he just didn't do anything great to be drafted that high

this website asks you to take a poll of what TE Housler compares to the most:

Andre Roberts
Jeremy Shockey
Kevin Boss
Ben Patrick
Early Doucet
Buster Davis

after 155 votes 33% (54 votes) said Boss. Kevin Boss has done a pretty good job filling in for Shockey and if Housler was compared to Boss I'd be fine with that. Boss has a super bowl ring

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Housler Expected to Compete for Starting Job

Housler will be a good TE in the league and Arizona is a good spot for him…don't think he will start this yr just because of the lockout and lack of practice time and lack of a playbook I assume but I could see his playing time increasing as the season continues on
Back to the top

Re: Housler Expected to Compete for Starting Job

Housler Expected to Compete for Starting Job

Another analysis of the draft, specifically the Cardinals;

Arizona Cardinals: Assuming a Marc Bulger or Matt Hasselbeck is eventually "in the Cards," they could be positioned to return to the NFC West perch they occupied in 2008-09. With CB Patrick Peterson, RB Ryan Williams, TE Rob Housler, OLB Sam Acho and ILB Quan Sturdivant, Arizona potentially added five 2011 Week 1 starters. Steady quarterback play and answers on the interior O-line – all three 2010 starters are presently unsigned – could be just enough to recapture a division still up for grabs.

Not too bad! Go Rob!!
Back to the top
Control functions: