Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Over 2,650 to Graduate in FAU's 100th Commencement

Add topic

"Florida Atlantic University will hand out more than 2,650 degrees during its Spring graduation ceremonies today and Friday.

The ceremonies are scheduled for 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. today and 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Friday in the Carole and Barry Kaye Auditorium on the school's Boca Raton campus.

This year's commencement marks the 100th ceremony for the school, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year."

Source
Back to the top

Re: Over 2,650 to Graduate in FAU's 100th Commencement

Rick said

"Florida Atlantic University will hand out more than 2,650 degrees during its Spring graduation ceremonies today and Friday.

The ceremonies are scheduled for 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. today and 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Friday in the Carole and Barry Kaye Auditorium on the school's Boca Raton campus.

This year's commencement marks the 100th ceremony for the school, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year."

Source

Wasn't FAU founded in 61 but didn't officially open til 64 how then can you have 100 commencements.

The university opened in 1964 as the first public university in southeast Florida and the first university in the nation to offer only upper-division and graduate level courses.

I would think that there wouldn't be anyone ready to graduate especially with any graduate degree until later than 64 unless there were a lot of transfers.
Back to the top

They can have more than 100 commencements because people graduate after every semester, not just once a year.
Back to the top

I was under the notion that there is a spring and a fall commencement, due to the university being on a semester based schedule. If the university counted all 3 commencements then they would have far surpassed the 100 mark.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/registrar/pdf/Docs/acadcal1011.pdf

In April 1965, just seven months after opening its doors, FAU held its first commencement ceremony, presenting degrees to 30 students who had entered as seniors. Because there was no appropriate facility on campus for this event, the ceremony was conducted at the First Presbyterian Church of Boca Raton.

FAU - History
Back to the top

And the Factoid of the Day award goes to Boozie!

;D

boozie132 said

In April 1965, just seven months after opening its doors, FAU held its first commencement ceremony, presenting degrees to 30 students who had entered as seniors. Because there was no appropriate facility on campus for this event, the ceremony was conducted at the First Presbyterian Church of Boca Raton.

FAU - History

Back to the top

2,650+ more Owl alumni, cool!
Back to the top

Over 2,650 to Graduate in FAU's 100th Commencement

Congratulations to the graduates, including my daughter Daphne!
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Congrats Daphne!

:D
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Nice one Dmarkey!

You know you're getting old when you're watching kids grow up on the OwlsNest!
Back to the top
Control functions: