Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pro Sports' Worst-Run Franchise Plays at FAU

Add topic

Pro Sports' Worst-Run Franchise Plays at FAU

According to socceramerica.com Women’s Professional Soccer's magicJack, which plays its home matchs at FAU Soccer Stadium, is the worst run professional sports franchise in existence at this point in time…here's a snap shot:

"The club has been a mystery since its launch. It has not maintained a web site and did nothing to market itself in preseason. It has drawn crowds of 1,224, 1,008 and 952 for its first three home games at the tiny soccer stadium on the campus of Florida Atlantic University.

At the opener, fans had to sit on the grass because bleachers had been taken away to be used at FAU's spring football game. The FAU stadium has a capacity of only 1,500 – less than the U.S. Soccer-mandated minimum of 5,000."

I don't have a problem with refering to one of our facilities as tiny, but I am seriously wondering what they are expecting for a league which has shown no longevity, and even the article itself admits no one knows if it will even be around.

IMO, the "league" should be happy that they even have a place to play and that FAU was nice enough to open its doors to something that takes away from its own Fan's experience…I for one was pissed at the parking (lack thereof) when the match was going on at the same time as the Spring Game. Not to mention a competing venue within 50 yards of game itself.

Full Article

Back to the top

Re: Pro Sports' Worst-Run Franchise Plays at FAU

Womens professional soccer...enough said.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Like half of the US National team is on the MagicJack squad, it's crazy how good of a team they have yet they are almost trying to keep it under wraps…hardly any staff, no advertising, it's gotta be a tax shelter or something crazy.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Like half of the US National team is on the MagicJack squad, it's crazy how good of a team they have yet they are almost trying to keep it under wraps…hardly any staff, no advertising, it's gotta be a tax shelter or something crazy.

My thought's exactly…why the heck is going on with a stacked team like that and NO support…….
Back to the top

While on the subject of soccer, is the new stadium's playing field large enough for international soccer matches? If so, could you imagine if the US national team(s) were to make our new stadium their official home. What great publicity for FAU and the stadium (not to mention revenue) if that were to ever happen.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

While on the subject of soccer, is the new stadium's playing field large enough for international soccer matches? If so, could you imagine if the US national team(s) were to make our new stadium their official home. What great publicity for FAU and the stadium (not to mention revenue) if that were to ever happen.

That would pretty sweet. Also, along with this idea, I think we need to use the stadium in as many ways as possible ie. soccer matches, big high school football games (state finals), large marching band shows (FBA) etc. I think FAU needs to do all it can to get out into the community so that the community can feel apart of FAU and have some sort of allegiance to the university. 
Back to the top

Whatever it takes to pay the rent…place isn't going to be cheap though, can guarantee that!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I don't know if the stadium is big enough for soccer or not but I know Angelos has at least considered it. I know I and maybe a few other people emailed him about it a few years ago when the stadium was still in the planning stages. I even asked if it could be designed to accommodate baseball. He said no.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

That's one of the main reasons for the type of field surface we're putting in and the dimensions, rumor has it that we've already had talks with English Premiership squads about coming to the US for a match…so yes, football (proper football) will be played there.
Back to the top

Here's more background on the issue from the owner Dan Borislow's standpoint…

"I took over this team in January because the team would have folded otherwise, and they forced some of these issues upon me because of the timing," Borislow said in a phone interview Friday. "They knew I'd have issues playing in South Florida and putting this together so quickly, but I'm doing the best I can. FAU has done a great job, the players are terrific on the field and after (games), staying for autographs and photos, and our fans are getting a great show."

"I refuse to be a zombie and do things just because the league says," Borislow said. "The league is dying, and may not even be around next year, so I am doing what I can to keep it going. The league is overlooking the important thing, which is that we are attracting girls to come watch women's soccer. We are reaching girls, encouraging them to play soccer and not be lazy cupcake eaters. I'm not trying to make money at this. I'm doing it because there's a place for women's soccer and, hopefully, we can work out our differences with the league."

Link

Back to the top
Control functions: