Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Who's coming down for the big series?

Add topic

You guys usually bring a good crowd down to our campus. Who is coming tomorrow? Crucial series, as you all know. Big win for you guys over the U. We're relishing our first ranking in years and still in the running for the regular season title. Most people are saying you guys are on the bubble for NCAAs but I think you're already in. A series win for you and I think you're a lock.
Back to the top

Re: Who's coming down for the big series?

Who's coming down for the big series?

Very happy you guys have a good RPI.  Without it, we may not have a chance to make a Regional.  We still have to perform, but at least that gives us the opportunity.  Good to see the Belt have a few teams in the running for post-season.

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

HooterHater said

You guys usually bring a good crowd down to our campus. Who is coming tomorrow? Crucial series, as you all know. Big win for you guys over the U. We're relishing our first ranking in years and still in the running for the regular season title. Most people are saying you guys are on the bubble for NCAAs but I think you're already in. A series win for you and I think you're a lock.

What's the FIU crowd been like? I know we have had a pretty decent showing…
Back to the top

I only went to the Thursday game and the crowd was pathetic in both sides of the stands. I'm an alum and current grad student @ FIU, so I use my alumni discount to get tix for friends, and get myself in free as a student. My friend and I were the only ones in the student section, although the rest of the few students who were there simply sat in the reserved seating behind the plate because Wittels was sitting out his suspension in those seats (It must be rough to be BMOC, every beautiful coed at the game stopped by for a hug and a kiss from him). Watching Saturday's game on TV the crowd looked to be about the same, although most of the noise seemed to be coming from the visiting section.
I've said it on here before, but it's no wonder you guys have dominated this rivalry over the past few years, in every sport (men's, at least). You guys look at this as a rivalry. Our student body–those who care, at least–thinks we have some imaginary rivalry with UM, even though we don't play them in revenue sports any longer. You would think that losing to you guys year in and year out would wake FIU fans up. They simply justify it by saying that "FAU cares about this game more than we do. They aren't our rival so we don't get up for the games."
Both the losing and the apathy make me sick.
There, I've ranted.
Back to the top

I agree with you, Hater.

A rivalry between us makes all the sense in the world.  But both fan bases are very "new" and many have unrealistic expectations on both sides.

As much as I hate it, I think when you beat us at football, those attitudes will begin to change.  There is no real good reason why one school should dominate the other for a long period of time, there are so many similarities.  Once the wins and losses begin to even out, a rivalry can develop.

It is much easier for a new fan to just say (when they are losing):  we don't care about you any way.  You are obsessed with us, etc.  And it is much easier (mentally) to have a made up "rivalry"  with a team you never play because you don't have to endure the pain of losing as much.

Being in the same conference, recruiting in the same territory and being so close geographically, it is absurd if we are not packing each others stadiums in a couple of years. 
Back to the top

FIU''s student goverment and alumni association need to take the forefront, like ours has done, to make FAU vs FIU the priority.  I give all the credit in the world to FAU's members of the above two orginizations. Over the last few years, They have done whatever it takes to generate buzz and excitement about FAU's programs.

Pep rallys, free tee shirts, free concerts, free food. Get those students out to the game, show them a good time and they will come back. Then when they are out in the world they will remember and support the program.

Of course winning also helps. I think FIU brought the most fans I've ever seen from them to the game last year at Lockhart. It was actually nice IMHO to see a lot of blue and gold. It made for a better atmosphere for sure. They had a good team, but when they came into OUR house, OUR students respondend and so did the team. There was NO WAY they were going to let FIU beat them in our house.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: