Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Men's Basketball Signs Four to 2011 Class

Add topic

Florida Atlantic men’s basketball Head Coach Mike Jarvis has announced the signing of four players who will join the Owls in the fall of 2011.

The Owls focused primarily on adding size in this year’s class, having to overcome the loss of Justin Davis and Sun Belt all-time blocked shots leader Brett Royster.

Julian Sargent is a 6-foot-10 center originally from Clearwater, who has played at Miami-Dade College for the last years. Sargent, known primarily for his defense, averaged 5.2 points and 6.0 rebounds per game for the Sharks and was named Second-Team All-Southern Conference as a sophomore.

“Julian is an older, more mature person and player with size. He’s a solid all-around player whose best days are ahead of him,” said Jarvis of Sargent. “He has a great opportunity with the departure of Justin and Brett. He will play early and often and should provide some much needed inside scoring, defense and rebounding.”

Kelvin Penn will come to FAU from Massanutten Military Academy where he averaged a double-double (12 points, 10 rebounds) per game. Prior to that, he was a two-time Nisqually League MVP at Steilacoom High School, located just outside of Tacoma, Washington. The 6-foot-7 power forward also has a reputation as a shot blocker, which will help the Owls defensively.

“Kelvin is a bit of a late bloomer, who is just starting to become the player he is capable of becoming, but he is improving on a daily basis. He’s athletic, strong and has a seven foot wingspan. He could probably play tight end, if he had to. Kelvin enjoys rebounding and playing defense, two areas that will help win a lot of games. Coming out of a military school, we know he has the kind of discipline we are looking for. Not only will he get better, but he will help those he competes against in practice get better.

Omari Grier averaged 13.9 points a game at Maine Central Institute last season, helping MCI to the New England Prep League title. Grier averaged three made three-pointers a game last season, which should add to a perimeter attack that already features, Greg Gantt, Raymond Taylor and Shavar Richardson.

"The word on Omari is ‘all he can do is shoot’, which even if it were true, would be enough. He’s a terrific backcourt player that shot better than 50 percent from the three point line and we expect him to continue that here at FAU. He’s a shooter and every team can use another shooter,” said Jarvis.

Rounding out the class is seven foot center Dragan Sekelic, who is transferring from Baylor. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Sekelic will be able to practice with the Owls next season, but cannot see game action until 2012-13. He scored 32 points and had 19 rebounds in 23 games over two seasons for the Bears and Coach Jarvis expects Sekelic to take full advantage of his time on the practice court.

“We hope to finish the job that Baylor started, which is first to develop Dragan as a good college player, then hopefully a good professional player, either here or overseas.”  Jarvis said. “He will really benefit from having a year to practice and when he takes the court (in 2012-13), he will not only be one of the biggest players in the Sun Belt, but also one of the most skilled. He will have a huge impact on the court. I can’t wait for him to get here and I don’t think he can either."

Source: www.fausports.com
Back to the top

Re: Men's Basketball Signs Four to 2011 Class

rick, what's your opinion?
Back to the top

None of them are proven - yet.

Will they be? Only time will tell.

Sekelic hardly played at Baylor…However, you can't teach true 7-0 size, which he has…this one will be on Jarvis to develop…he now has another situation where he has a willing pupil and the pupil has potential.

Grier could need help getting open at this level, but appears to be able to shoot well based on his highlight footage.

I need to see the JUCO center before commenting, and the Military academy transfer appears initially to be a cross between Andre Mattison and Jordan McCoy - engergetic, but limited.
Back to the top

They all seem like role players to me.  Dissapointing after the season we are coming off.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

good write up rick.

agree with wally. seems like we could've gotten a better juco big man. that would've been nice.

Back to the top

Exit39 said

seems like we could've gotten a better juco big man.

I think Sargent will resemble a 2" taller version of former Owl Seydou Kone
Back to the top

Rick said

Exit39 said

LOL, at best 3 people know what you are talking about on this board Rick.  Awesome reference though.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Men's Basketball Signs Four to 2011 Class

walty12 said

Rick said

Exit39 said

LOL, at best 3 people know what you are talking about on this board Rick.  Awesome reference though.

haha come on you don't think people remember Kone? Wasn't he one of those one and done type of guys? He played like 3 minutes a game if he was lucky lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Different recruiter guys, I gotta feeling Coach knows waht he is doing. Three years in the Belt now and I bet he got what he was looking for or at least pretty darn close!
Back to the top

One good thing is that Jarvis has always developed bigs. With Sekelic getting one yr of practice, he should be ready to take the starting center spot by the time the 2012 season comes around. I remember Jarvis doing a real good job with Yinka Dare at GW. Dare was raw and picked up basketball late. He was a rebounding machine. Not much of a pro career, but did get drafted.... We can only hope for that kind of success...

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top
Control functions: