Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger Snubbed in 2011 College Football Hall of Fame Consideration

Should Schnellenberger Be Voted In?

Is this really Up for Debate?
Blasphemy I say!
After he retires
Only if he meet the criterion
No, he's not worthy

You must select between 1 and 27 options

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

So, our very own Coach Schnellenberger was snubbed again this year in consideration for the College Football hall of Fame…if you ask me, it's quite laughable. The man deserves it! He's started from the ground up every where he's been aside from OU. But, what says you??

5. Howard Schnellenberger, Player at Kentucky, Coach at Miami, Louisville, Oklahoma, and Florida Atlantic

"Requirements for head coaches include a 60 percent winning percentage for at least 10 years and 100 games played.  Schnellenberger falls short of the 60 percent mark with a record of 157-140-3.

However, besides struggling at Oklahoma in 1995, Schnellenberger has built a program from the ground up at Florida Atlantic, created a winning attitude at Louisville, and resurrected Miami into a national powerhouse, including a national championship in 1983.

Schnellenberger has done more for college football than many current college football coaches ever will.  Voters, give the man his dues."

And, here is the full Monty of top five snubs for this year according to USC's Neon Tommy:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

2011's Top Five Snubs

Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger Snubbed in 2011 College Football Hall of Fame Consideration

Schnellenberger Snubbed in 2011 College Football Hall of Fame Consideration

Rick said

So, our very own Coach Schnellenberger was snubbed again this year in consideration for the College Football hall of Fame…if you ask me, it's quite laughable. The man deserves it! He's started from the ground up every where he's been aside from OU. But, what says you??

5. Howard Schnellenberger, Player at Kentucky, Coach at Miami, Louisville, Oklahoma, and Florida Atlantic

"Requirements for head coaches include a 60 percent winning percentage for at least 10 years and 100 games played.  Schnellenberger falls short of the 60 percent mark with a record of 157-140-3.

However, besides struggling at Oklahoma in 1995, Schnellenberger has built a program from the ground up at Florida Atlantic, created a winning attitude at Louisville, and resurrected Miami into a national powerhouse, including a national championship in 1983.

Schnellenberger has done more for college football than many current college football coaches ever will.  Voters, give the man his dues."

And, here is the full Monty of top five snubs for this year according to USC's Neon Tommy:

2011's Top Five Snubs

I think Jimmy Johnson got in. I love Jimmy as a Cowboys fan, but sorry JJ without Howard you'd probably still be coaching some mediocre college football team. Howard IS UM football. No Howard no JJ, No Butch Davis, no Al Golden

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Howard is STILL coaching. Don't people usually get voted in to Hall of Fames AFTER they retire?

For instance, Michael Jordan - THE BEST BASKETBALL OF ALL TIME - didn't get inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame until 2009, six years after he retired.
Back to the top

Usually that's how it works but Joe Pa, and Bowden were both elected while coaching

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Both won a lot more games though. Can you imagine how many wins Coach would have if he had never left UM!
Back to the top

Captain said

Howard is STILL coaching. Don't people usually get voted in to Hall of Fames AFTER they retire?

For instance, Michael Jordan - THE BEST BASKETBALL OF ALL TIME - didn't get inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame until 2009, six years after he retired.
That's because he is a player….coaches are eligible after 25 yrs I believe
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Both won a lot more games though. Can you imagine how many wins Coach would have if he had never left UM!

Sure, they have won a lot more games, but have either of those coaches done more for college football then Howard?  His UM teams changed college football.  He rebuilt two dying programs and built another from scratch.  He may not have the wins, but like you said, he'd be the all time win leader had he stayed at UM.

The 60 percent rule is silly.  A guy like Nick Saban can begin his career at a small school, have a good season or two, move up to a slightly bigger school, win 8 games and then get to pick any major program he wants.  Once you get to that level, in theory, you should never win less then 60 percent of the time, even in a down year.  Someone like Saban may win more, but no way has he done more for the game then Coach Schnellenberger.  He should be in, and I hope the rules get changed to allow him in while he's still around to see it happen. 
Back to the top

Ted has his piece up today on this, and thinks Coach will never get in due to age and the 60% rule…

I'd be willing to bet the farm that he gets in at some point.

Happy dining! ;D

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

I think they will put him in, but after he retires.  They will recieve a lot of pressure from friends, alumni of all schools, fans, players, and coaches to "bend the rules" and put the man in.  The world of football is a better place because of the work that he has done for all his schools.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

I think they will put him in, but after he retires.  They will recieve a lot of pressure from friends, alumni of all schools, fans, players, and coaches to "bend the rules" and put the man in.  The world of football is a better place because of the work that he has done for all his schools.

Nope…

2012 Coaching Additions:

Phillip Fulmer, 152-52-0, Tennessee (1992-2008)
Jimmy Johnson, 81-34-3, Oklahoma State/Miami (1979-88)
R.C. Slocum, 123-47, Texas A&M (1989-2002)
Back to the top
Control functions: