Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA penalizes FAU 3 football scholarships for low APR

FAU APR penalties - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Florida Atlantic's football program continues to struggle under the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate, and was penalized for the fourth straight year and is losing three scholarships.

The football team was the only FAU program penalized in the 2009-10 report released Tuesday, and just one of 17 football teams that lost scholarships due to a low APR rate.

The national average score for football was 946, and FAU's was 920. Penalties begin when teams fall below 925, and FAU the 920 score is the highest for FAU's football team.

The rate is based on the eligibility and retention of student-athletes, with penalties imposed when students fail academically or drop out.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: NCAA penalizes FAU 3 football scholarships for low APR

Fourth year in a row? What happened to getting kids who were good students with good character? If we're going to lose scholarships every year then lets go after those kids who get dismissed from big programs!
Back to the top

Not good but really just means three less recruits we have never heard of till signing day. But then again with the new stadium, it will hurt a little more unless we really sell the fewer scholly opportunities to get better, quicker and firmer commitments. Go Owls!
Back to the top

Hey you know what we should do we should make fun of other programs like uf about how good and clean ours is  ::)
Back to the top

NCAA penalizes FAU 3 football scholarships for low APR

I've taken classes with FAU football players before, some seemed like good student athletes.  While others you just shook your head at their classroom etiquette.  Maybe we have "cleaner" professors who aren't going to look the other way and pass someone just because they play football.  I remember one of my former co-workers from St. Louis who's brother was on the University of Missouri swimming team.  He told me that while his brother attended Mizzou there was a blacklist kept by the athletic department with certain professors names on it which athletes were strongly discouraged from taking because they weren't "down" with the Athletic Department.  Of course this was back in the late 70's early 80's.  I'm sure nothing like that happens now…. ;)
Back to the top

Really not good considering we were only 1 of 3 in the SBC…

ASU -none

DENVER - none

FAU
- Football - 3 scholarship reduction

FIU
- Football - 1 scholarship reduction

MTSU - none

TROY - none

UALR - none

ULL - none

ULM
- Women's Outdoor Track - .45 scholarship reduction
- Women's Indoor Track - .45 scholarship reduction
- Men's Outdoor Track - 1.1 scholarship reduction
- Men's Indoor Track - 1.1 scholarship reduction
- Men's Basketball - 3 scholarship reduction
- Football - 7 scholarship reduction

UNT - none

USA - none

WKU - none
Back to the top

Hard to win your conference and be competitive, when you have scholarships taken away from you every season. They need to scare these kids into going to class. Monitor their grades. You don't do well in class, you don't play… I don't care who you are

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Hey you know what we should do we should make fun of other programs like uf about how good and clean ours is  ::)

Ha, I think 35 arrests in 24 months is a little different than bad grades.  I have failed a class, I have never been put in cuffs.

Keep things in perspective chief.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Fourth year in a row? What happened to getting kids who were good students with good character? If we're going to lose scholarships every year then lets go after those kids who get dismissed from big programs!

Has anybody ever claimed that FAU goes after athletes that are great students academically?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Mostly it just shows the budget differences in the BigSix to the have not's (us).

We just don't have the budget for adequate compliance and/or tutoring programs that the big boys do. Hopefully another thing that changes with the new stadium and if we can avaerage 20K plus in attendance we will better be able to.

I beleive the "break-even" for the stadium budget was set really low at something like 12K in attendance to help ensure this thing pays for itself and does not break the athletic department or the school.
Back to the top
Control functions: