Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Distant Early Warning - Will Jarvis be the Next Head Coach to leave FAU?

Add topic

Distant Early Warning - Will Jarvis be the Next Head Coach to leave FAU?

As the Florida Atlantic football team's future under Howard Schnellenberger remains in uncertainty, they're not the only squad with a coach who has one year left on their contract and no promise of a future with the Owls afterwards.

The Men's Basketball Team wrapped up their best year at the DI level in 2010-11, winning 21 games overall and posting an impressive 13-4 mark in the Sun Belt Conference.

But will they wrap up the Coach that made it happen? Head Coach Mike Jarvis, as well as loyal Fans, would like to know the answer to that question. Continuity is a key element of keeping the Owls' recent run of success in tact. And something they have had to deal with twice in previous changeovers.

Recruiting classes depend upon it, so does the win column. FAU will graduate two seniors in Alex Tucker and Shavar Richardson (Jarvis' first class) after 2011-12, and a plethora the year after including Ray Taylor, Greg Gantt, Andre Mattison, and Jordan McCoy, and Kore White (Jarvis' second and third class).

No one can question the impact of the classes, or the fact that they would not be here aside from Jarvis.

For any program in the National Collegiate Athletics Association, being in a renewal period with a losing leader is one thing; being in it with a winner is another.

Which begs the question: What is taking so long for FAU to secure Mike Jarvis past the 2011-12 season when it's public knowledge that meetings were to take place since last March?

The obvious counter to this question is to usurp that Jarvis hasn't had any other options, so why rush. But, given the paramount year the team just had, there has to have been more talks going on than met reader's eyes on printed press and online articles hovering over the matter within the last few months.

And, there was. Jarvis could have likely been yesterday's news if he wanted to. Oklahoma, George Washington, Arkansas, and Monmouth were all ready to talk about possible futures with them. Only problem was, Jarvis wasn't. Invitation declined on all accounts.

"Could have left already, and may leave. But my desire is to honor the commitment I made to the University, its student Body and the Boca Raton community", Jarvis said. "I'm sure the University knows how important and how valuable the men's basketball program is to towards growth and future development."

Rather, Jarvis is seeking to be the first Coach the Owls have had that kept his word when opportunity came knocking, Fans wanted them, and they were a good fit for the program. He said he was here for the long haul when he arrived. And now his behavior supports those words.

Is there a "selfish" motive in his purpose? Only if you consider living out your calling in life, in a place you have been blessed to live, by leading a team you signed up to be with for the long haul being selfish.

Florida Atlantic administrators need to recognize where they are, what they have in front of them, and where they can digress to by letting a golden opportunity pass them by behind passivity.

They have a born, tried, and true man at the wheel of the program. Not to mention some healthy records established under his tutelage.

So, what's the deal? Or, should we say, lack of one?

FAU's budgetary year runs from July to July. One could argue that the financial and available monies picture is not clear enough to make a reasonable upgrade offer to a coach that currently ranks 9th amongst the league's head men in pay but near the top in career wins as a DI coach and also won Sun Belt the Coach of the Year award for 2010-11; knocking off teams who afford as much as a $265K differential to their head staff member.

Yes, they may have larger budgets, and that is a data point for consideration. In addition to FAU's over achieving incumbent's realization of this when walking into the situation to begin with.

Regardless, FAU has gotten exactly what it hoped for when hiring Mike Jarvis off the clearance rack.

He promised success - delivered. He promised increased community involvement - delivered. He promised better caliber student athletes on and off the court - delivered. He promised better ticket sales - delivered.

As of now, he has not.

So what does Jarvis truly want? For starters, obviously a commitment from the University to continue coaching at FAU. Otherwise, he likely would have already pursued leaving.

A fair and equitable offering towards keeping things moving forward would be nice as well. Something the private sector calls "pay for performance".

"That I am at least being compensated in respect to other people in this league. I should not be paid at the bottom of the league", said Jarvis. "And to join Lefty Driesell as only the second coach in NCAA history to win 100 or more games at four separate institutions."

Question is, does FAU want to stop heel dragging and to step up to the plate in a most critical time to seal a win-win deal beyond the next 12 months. That's just about all the time he has left officially, and it is already starting to impact recruiting negatively. The lack of a four year deal is currently affecting future recruits' decisions; two of which have made it know they will not commit to an Owl program without knowing Jarvis will be leading them. By the way, they could very well be two of the best players the program would have ever landed.

On a more recent note Dragan Sekelja, a 7-0, 265 lb Baylor transfer who will be just the third player to ever dress at that height for the Owls, would not have even had FAU on his radar map had it not been for Jarvis. There are not many guys on the floor at 7-0 in the Sun Belt. In fact, I can't even think of another one right now.

Bottom line:

It's time for FAU to state with their actions whether the program will continue to be a revolving door of mediocrity, or one of continued success.

When's the contract coming?

Let's keep the Taylor Bell keep ringing.
Back to the top

Re: Distant Early Warning - Will Jarvis be the Next Head Coach to leave FAU?

"Could have left already, and may leave."

This is scary. Angelos better get fired if we lose him.
Back to the top

Great write up Rick

I agree with Fasho. Something needs to happen and needs to happen now! We just enjoyed the best season ever in the program's history, the fan support was clearly the best ever. If Jarvis leaves, good luck to the guy who replaces him. Why should we as fans support the program when it's clear the university does not. If he leaves, unless it's due to retirement, you won't be able to give tickets away.

I don't want to hear from FAU that Jarvis left because we didn't have enough to pay him. He's generating more ticket sales. More sales = more money. $5 a car to park, use some of that money and pay the man and his staff. They clearly deserve it. Let's get a deal done before the school year starts. I know there are FAU admins that read this board, so we as fans are asking you to commit to basketball! Show us for once that you care! Show us you will do whatever it takes to keep him here and that you want to win.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

This is really an important time for FAU Athletics.  I am not even going to address this to Craig Angelos.

To Mary Jane Saunders:

You like to use the term "game changer."  You use the term all the time when referring to our new $70M football stadium.  You have a "game changer" in Coach Mike Jarvis for a heck of lot less.

I listened to every single presidential candidate interview when FAU was looking for a new President.  You were adamant about taking this University to the next level in every aspect.  So far we have great things going on with the addition of the Medical School, our continued partnerships with the research companies, and the project with the underwater turbines could be a major break through in the future.  Our incoming freshmen applications have doubled to an incredible 22,000 applications. Innovation Village will help transform our commuter school into a traditional campus.

Mike Jarvis has been a great ambassador for OUR University.  This should not even be a debate, seriously.
He has done everything that you could ask of a coach…and in short order.

Mary Jane Saunders: Be a "game changer" and make this problem go away.

If we cannot take care of this simple thing, I am seriously concerned.

Give Mike Jarvis Sr. a contract extension, and give Mike Jarvis Jr. a "coach in waiting" designation and be done with it.  If this is a huge debate for you, I would hate to see what goes on with the academic and research issues.

Back to the top

Angelos better make this happen.  He better quit looking for other jobs and take care of Jarvis.  The thought of them letting him leave makes me mad.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Nice write up Rick, really puts things in perspective.

We need Jarvis to stay, and he wants to. Just make the deal happen. Ridiculous how he is such an underpaid coach in the Belt.

If we want to make the tournament, and be on TV, pay the money!
Back to the top

Great article and FAU better step up to the plate on this.  They have a real community asset in Jarvis and it would be a shame to lose him due to the typical FAU feet-dragging.  He's done what many thought was near impossible…he's made our students care about the basketball program and has drawn actual paying customers into the Burrow.  Doherty couldn't…Rex couldn't..Jarvis has because he knows how to build a program and he's a member of the Boca Raton community.  He WANTS to be here and see this thing through…and he's not asking for anything unreasonable.  He deserves to be fairly compensated.

Come on FAU…Get the deal done!!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Great article and FAU better step up to the plate on this.  They have a real community asset in Jarvis and it would be a shame to lose him due to the typical FAU feet-dragging.  He's done what many thought was near impossible…he's made our students care about the basketball program and has drawn actual paying customers into the Burrow.  Doherty couldn't…Rex couldn't..Jarvis has because he knows how to build a program and he's a member of the Boca Raton community.  He WANTS to be here and see this thing through…and he's not asking for anything unreasonable.  He deserves to be fairly compensated.

Come on FAU…Get the deal done!!

Well said, most important thing I read there was that Jarvis WANTS to stay here!

The more I think about this, the more I get concerned about just what the heck is going on! If I'm FAU I'm going to Jarvis and saying "Ok, Coach, what's it going to take to keep you here until you retire?" and FAU should listen to everything he wants. I'm sure its nothing unreasonable. I just can't understand why some sort of deal hasn't been reached. Its obvious Jarvis isn't happy since he said he still might leave.

I'm going to be on edge about this until a new contract is inked.

FAU better not screw this up.
Back to the top

Just for the record, as there is always the propensity to jump to conclusions on a matter like this:

1. Meetings were to take place on three seperate occassions - postponed each time.

2. Angelos is not making the decision by himself, but will likely be the fall guy should something go array.

3. The contract has to go before the BOT for approval.

This being said, be proactive, don't wait until you are backed into a corner time wise reliant upon the sake of someone being nice to you. Jarvis didn't/doesn't have to be this way. If he was like the other two guys, things would obviously be different right now.

Additionally, stating what any rationale person in his position would state, while taking a firm stance on fairness, is far from "threatening".

(had to address what Ted propsed :) )

The sole problem here once again is the methodology by which state institutions fund thier programs: Tax & Spend.

In a nutshell, take the fees from the students, with zero accountability from them surrounding the adminstrators' decisions. And this whole gig is on them.

Accordingly, and to be fair, let's take a poll amongst the students and ask them how they feel the University has handled the matter. Besides, what "opinion" matters most here? It is THIER money we are talking about, correct?

1. Do you feel FAU should seek to extend Coach Mike Jarvis' contract?

A. Yes

B. No

2. If you answered "Yes" above, how do you feel the University has handled the matter thus far?

A. Quickly and Prudently

B. Slovenly and Slow

Very confident that results to the above could be predicted with very little variation towards actual numbers.

Lastly, for the current numbers the Athletics Department is facing:

ENROLLMENT IS UP.

What kind of budgetary changes are there to deal with outside of an increase in "revenue"?

You have two sports that matter from an external dollar standpoint - football and men's basketball. Accordingly, they are your top funding priorities and should not be subject to the fell whim of a pen stroke during a mandatory number review period. You have to plan ahead for these sports; not wait until July the fiscal year a contract expires.

Ok, off the soap box now.
Back to the top

Rick said

What kind of budgetary changes are there to deal with outside of an increase in "revenue"?

You have two sports that matter from an external dollar standpoint - football and men's basketball. Accordingly, they are your top funding priorities and should not be subject to the fell whim of a pen stroke during a mandatory number review period. You have to plan ahead for these sports; not wait until July the fiscal year a contract expires.

Ok, off the soap box now.

Totally agree.

The whole "we have to take it to the BOT" is a big fat excuse to drag their feet.  Every day you see programs all over the country name new coaches and getting contracts approved in days, not months.  It's an excuse.  Call a dang meeting and say you need approval–if you want it to happen.  If you don't care if it happens, you go to the press and say we want to reward our coach but we need to take it to the BOT and blah blah blah…foot dragging.

It's small time BS…

Ok, off my soap box as well  ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: