Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls in the 2011 MLB Draft

Add topic

First to go: RHP, and FAU Ace, Junior Paul Davis …

Davis skipped the draft last season (was selected in the 29th round) to attend FAU and try to win a championship…of course he was hoping to increase his worth - which happened today.

Davis was selected in the 17th round by San Francisco as the 547th pick. And a 10-1 record had to help in that  endeavor.

Best wishes Paul, but we will miss you next year!
Back to the top

Re: Owls in the 2011 MLB Draft

Next taken:

Raymond Church…

Heads to Tampa Bay in the 26th round, 810 overall.

Church earned first team All-Sun Belt Conference honors after hitting .351, and leading FAU with 80 hits, 51 runs scored and six home runs.

Best wishes Raymond!
Back to the top

This is just my opinion, but….26 rounds? What's the point of being drafted? I think there should be WAY less rounds so that only people who have a legitimate chance on making it to the Bigs get drafted. I know there are more after Church, but 810th? How can anyone evaluate these players correctly?

Also, I believe the draft is detrimental players, not only in development but also from an educational standpoint. I've known a couple people that got drafted in super late rounds straight out of high school or out of college without completing a degree and then sit around in AA for like 6 years and then just quit, and they still don't have an education.

This also makes college baseball way less exciting because all the BEST kids from h/s end up in the minor leagues.

But then again I'm biased..I think you should have to have a degree in order to play professional sports.

BTW- I'm not bashing our players for getting drafted. I'm very happy that we consistently draw talent here that get drafted so congratulations to them!
Back to the top

Owls in the 2011 MLB Draft

Couldn't agree more, it should be mandatory to have a degree to play professional sports.  It only hurts the players for it not to be.

Even the argument that the talented ones should be able to earn the money if capable…yeah, but most end up broke because they dont know how to handle the money once they have it.

I heard while watching a game a few weeks ago that only 40 or so players in the entire majors has a degree  :o  Wow.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

He wasn't drafted, but Nick SS DelGuidice singed a free agent contract with Kansas City today…

DelGuidice started every game of his collegiate career, holds the FAU record with 58 career doubles and earned second team All-Sun Belt honors this spring after having a .341 batting average and driving in a team-best 50 runs.

Best Wishes Nick!

Back to the top

Nothing against Nick…but what's the point of even signing free agents out after the draft? You mean to tell me that you still don't think you have enough players after 50 rounds of drafting?
Back to the top

MLB has a serious farm league obviously - that's what's up with the numbers…they need players in place to give the guys who make it out of there someone to play with.

The NBA has the D league, but how many guys make it out of there and to the big time?? Twenty percent according to Wikipedia.

The NFL has……..

??
Back to the top
Control functions: