Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU to See 15% Tuition Hike...

Add topic

"To keep seeing 15 percent increases year after year is alarming," said Ayden Maher, student government president at Florida Atlantic University. "One of the reasons students come to our schools and our state is because of affordability."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: FAU to See 15% Tuition Hike...

With the changes to a traditional university I think increases should be expected.  FAU is going to give a lot back to thier students that wasn't available before.

Not to mention, show me another University in the country within 5 miles to the beach that has tuition prices that are even close.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Rick said

"To keep seeing 15 percent increases year after year is alarming," said Ayden Maher, student government president at Florida Atlantic University. "One of the reasons students come to our schools and our state is because of affordability."

Full Story

"One of the reasons students come to our schools and our state is because of affordability."

All 11 Florida Universities received the same increase and based on fact more than 90% of students are from Florida (as is mandated by board of governors); where else would students get an education?  So the sentence presumes outsiders (non-FL residents) come to FAU which is not 90% incorrect and based on the fact Florida universities’ tuition is lowest in the country why is he complaining again?  UF president asked for more (30%)  then allowed by board of governors mandate.

Gainesville Blogs | Gainesville.com

Florida Universities are still cheapest schools in country and the $ is needed bc of reductions in funding from state of Florida.  Each universitiy is not getting more $ but only charging more from students (who is getting the benefit), to make up for loss of subsidized $ from state.

Back to the top

Let's get that enrollment up to 35K like Prez Saunders wants and the budget will be greatly helped! Get more dorms and the parking garages built, build the new arena and improve the baseball facilites and with the new interchange to be finished within five years - we will be there and will our sights even further upwards.

GO OWLS!!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Let's get that enrollment up to 35K like Prez Saunders wants and the budget will be greatly helped! Get more dorms and the parking garages built, build the new arena and improve the baseball facilites and with the new interchange to be finished within five years - we will be there and will our sights even further upwards.

GO OWLS!!!!!!

Now that I'm kind of on the inside of things what you are saying is ridiculous..not to be rude or anything because I'd for all that to happen too but all those things you are talkinh about cost millions and millions..and millions of dollars. I thought I read that a parking garage would cost $10 mil or something astronomical like that, just for some place to park.

I get that Ayden wants to keep costs low for students but campaigning against that is pretty futile. FAU is still one of the least expensive schools and there's no reason to worry about raising tuition with 27,000 applications.
Back to the top

No problem with your comment but I thought that the parking garages were a necessary part of the Innovation Village development. Where are they going to park the cars for 2500 residents plus their visitors and families and the retail shoppers for the Village once both phases are built if they don't? I am sure it won't be cheap but growth and progress ALWAYS cost dollars. Like any business, you have to spend money to make money.

On a lighter side, ain't that stadium looking BEAUTIFUL! Gonna be one LOUD place to be in too! Go Owls!
Back to the top

FAU to See 15% Tuition Hike...

Right, while its expensive as a University investing in infrastructure seems to be a good bet.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Now that I'm kind of on the inside of things what you are saying is ridiculous..not to be rude or anything because I'd for all that to happen too but all those things you are talkinh about cost millions and millions..and millions of dollars. I thought I read that a parking garage would cost $10 mil or something astronomical like that, just for some place to park.

I get that Ayden wants to keep costs low for students but campaigning against that is pretty futile. FAU is still one of the least expensive schools and there's no reason to worry about raising tuition with 27,000 applications.

It is cheap but raking in more applications at $30 a pop doesn't exactly build new research labs or allow us to hire more professors.

I'm not sure about all the details of the financial picture but I believe the parking garages should come as part of a bank loan secured by the FAU Direct Service Organization. I'm pretty sure they're not coming from the same legislature funding that built, for instance, the new Engineering building.

GeorgiaOwl has a point in that we need to significantly expand the student body. The larger the student body, the more pressing the need for legislature funding to support them. UCF already found a goldmine there, now it's time for the rest of us to follow suit or continue to float around in the kiddie pool with UWF, UNF, FGCU, etc. Our rivals down in Miami certainly want to take off their floaties: "On Thursday morning, the FIU board of trustees unanimously approved a 5-year plan by FIU President Mark Rosenberg that calls for boosting enrollment by adding 2,000 students a year. In five years, FIU is expected to have nearly 53,000 students. Current enrollment is 42,287. Rosenberg wants to continue to increase the number over the next decade with the goal of having FIU enroll more than 60,000 students."

Now, we don't need 60K students, and FIU might not ever hit that goal. But it's something that FAU will have to contend with as it fights to become a "first choice" university.

And I understand that it's not easy, or cheap, to do this. More students means you need more classes, which means you need to built new facilities for millions of dollars as well as hire more professors to teach them. Maybe FAUfasho has more info on how many more students we could take on without maxing out our current facilities. That number I certainly haven't seen. I would imagine it's somewhere around 35K-40K.

Back to the top

FIU may want to up its student body (as does FAU) but I think we really need to look at raising requirements (which I assure you, we are). Who cares if we can get 10,000 more students if they are going to bring down the overall level of education. I think we did a good job this year with the amount of applications we received.

We were getting a lot of Freshman coming in at the end of May wanting to come to FAU (deadline was May 1st) with just average scores. Most likely they got denied from where they wanted to go originally and were looking to FAU as a stepping stone kind of. Well unless they had a very strong GPA and high test scores, they were denied from FAU as well. My boss told me that was not the case in years past because FAU was always trying to get more students, we would have taken them throughout the whole summer really. But we are at capacity and there just isn't enough room for all of them.

owlcountry said

Now, we don't need 60K students, and FIU might not ever hit that goal. But it's something that FAU will have to contend with as it fights to become a "first choice" university.

And I understand that it's not easy, or cheap, to do this. More students means you need more classes, which means you need to built new facilities for millions of dollars as well as hire more professors to teach them. Maybe FAUfasho has more info on how many more students we could take on without maxing out our current facilities. That number I certainly haven't seen. I would imagine it's somewhere around 35K-40K.

I mentioned to a parent that FAU is just recently becoming more of a "first choice" university in the past few years and he was surprised I said that because it was his impression from the people he's spoken to that FAU already is a first choice university in a couple different departments. Engineering, Business and Nursing for example for very competitive and popular and could be considered "first choice" by a lot of incoming students.

Also, I'm not sure at what the exact number of students it would take to max out our facilities but I imagine this year's Freshman class has to be pretty close.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

FIU may want to up its student body (as does FAU) but I think we really need to look at raising requirements (which I assure you, we are). Who cares if we can get 10,000 more students if they are going to bring down the overall level of education.

I certainly understand that line of thinking as well.

FAUfasho said

We were getting a lot of Freshman coming in at the end of May wanting to come to FAU (deadline was May 1st) with just average scores. Most likely they got denied from where they wanted to go originally and were looking to FAU as a stepping stone.

What were the "average scores?"

FAUfasho said

Well unless they had a very strong GPA and high test scores, they were denied from FAU as well.

Excellent. We don't need more 2+2 students here.
Back to the top
Control functions: