Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU... Dental School?

Add topic

Florida universities want to open dental schools, but is need the | www.palmbeachpost.com

Does Florida need more dentists?

That's the question at hand as the governing board for the state university system prepares to consider whether to allow more universities to offer dental schools. Currently, the University of Florida is the only state university that has a dental school, but at least three other universities are considering starting one.

The Board of Governors will look more seriously at this issue at its September meeting. The University of Central Florida, Florida A&M University, and Florida Atlantic University are all considering opening dental schools and the University of Florida wants to expand its school.
Back to the top

Re: FAU... Dental School?

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I would love to see FAU consider a veterinary school!!
Back to the top

The said

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I would love to see FAU consider a veterinary school!!
a law school would be my number 1 choice…but if I had to pick a medical field I would like to see a vet school as well
Back to the top

A law school would be good in the long run. A significant percentage of legislators (and other elected officials) hold law degrees. It would be nice for FAU to have more friends in those circles.
Back to the top

A law school seems to really make sense in Palm Beach County.  Tons of internships and jobs in the surrounding area and in Boca itself.

Not to mention the professors that would want to live in Boca or already do and teach.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Well, a law school is a bad idea since that bubble is about to burst.  The New York Times did a fantastic article on it here which you should definitely check out. Basically, J.D. students are having are having a very difficult time finding work after graduating but the schools keep expanding because they make a ton of money off students.

It's not just law that's in jeopardy. Medical school students are also starting to worry because they're opening more schools every year yet the number of residency programs is remaining roughly the same (or a handful of new residency programs are being opened up in "low-paid" primary care specialties that already can't fill… and they're opening them in undesirable rural areas).

I don't know if dental grads face the same problem (or pharmacy). I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they feel the crunch too. If doctors and lawyers are delaying retirement, I'm sure dentists and pharmacists are as well.

Anyway, I think FAU would look to add professional programs that would generate the most research revenue. In that respect, a dental school should generate more grant money then a law school. However, I would be surprised if FAU could secure a dental school as the Legislature is already pressed for money and Governor Rick Scott vetoes pretty much everything that comes across his desk (unless it makes him money).
Back to the top

Yep, the points you make are good ones.

I was just thinking of the advantage FAU would have with a law school due to georgraphical location over other law schools in the southeast.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Law school would be a nice luxury but South Florida already has a few.  NOVA SE, U of Miami, and FIU already have established Law programs.  Not to mention FIU has the highest rate of students passing the state bar exam (sorry have to give them credit for something)….. ;)
Back to the top

FAU... Dental School?

owlcountry said

It's not just law that's in jeopardy. Medical school students are also starting to worry because they're opening more schools every year yet the number of residency programs is remaining roughly the same (or a handful of new residency programs are being opened up in "low-paid" primary care specialties that already can't fill… and they're opening them in undesirable rural areas).

I kind of feel this way about all community college become 4 year institutions for the most part. Its kind of like inflation, the more schools there are, the less value they have. In years past you could only get into med-school if you were super smart and did really well in college. The more schools open up the more students have access to them creating less competition. Competition creates high quality students so only the best move on to become doctors, lawyers, etc. That might not be the case anymore..But who knows…like someone said earlier, no one is going to turn students away because of all the money they are going to make from it.
Back to the top
Control functions: