Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kerry Collins retires from the NFL

Kerry Collins announced his retirement from the NFL today. This opens up the competition to betwwen jake Locker and our man Rusty Smith. But since the two have a combined one NFL start, I am sure the Titans will pick-up another NFL experienced qb, he just wont have any Titans backgroung, putting Rusty as the most knowledgeable of all titans qb's, and that can't hurt!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-titans-collins

Go Rusty and Go Owls!
Back to the top

Re: Kery Collins retires from the NFL

I think Locker is over rated.  Even if he intially starts, I think Rusty will get in sooner or later.
Back to the top

What do  you mean, he worker MIRACLES at Washington did'nt he??? Ha Ha! Go Rusty, beat him out straight up!
Back to the top

Kerry Collins retires from the NFL

Also keep in mind, because of the lockout, Locker hasn't signed a contract yet. Rusty is the only QB under contract right now. Not saying he will be the opening day starter for them but there's also no guarantee Locker will sign right away either. You know how these prima donna athletes are when it comes to signing a contract.

Even though it's an all new coaching staff, they say the offense they will be running is going to be similar to last years. So the advantage Rusty has is that he knows the playbook from last year, the longer the lockout lasts the longer it's going to take Locker to get a copy of the book and study it.

I still think Locker will be the starter when the season starts and I'm sure they'll sign a veteran QB. Hopefully Rusty can show enough to at least be the back up to Locker and not the 3rd string

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I think the job is Rusty's to lose at this moment - depending on whom they sign as a veteran free agent qb.

Rusty will probably start the first pre-season game (????) and IF he does well, that puts the pressure on Locker and I beleive he will screw up. But Rusty HAS TO do well right off the bat, any opening and that will give the Titan's the excuse to play or start Locker because of his first round contract.
Back to the top

Guys,
I love FAU football and Rusty Smith is the best QB we've ever had here, but if you think he's better than Jake Locker right now, you need a reality check. Locker was the best thing for Washington in the past 10 years. He went back to school to help out something he helped recreate. He's not some "prima donna athlete" that just showed up and got drafted. His work ethic alone puts him in front of Rusty. There's a reason why Smith didn't go to a better school in the first place.

Now with all that said, I too am hoping the Titans can get their act together this year. Step one would hopefully be naming Rusty their starter. But honestly, it's not going to happen.
Back to the top

Re: Kerry Collins retires from the NFL

Well I actually agree that it is wishful thinking that Rusty be the starter up there, but as a competitor Jake is one, but as far as being a good qb, I don't agree. He was never very accurate in college  (actually Rusty's problem too) so from that point of view the Titan's don't have a major difference between the two nor a major strength to build on either - not really good for the Titan's IMHO.
My only point really for Rusty is the simple fact he is the only returning qb there and that "might" help him since he knows the system and players and is actually under contract. They still have to sign Locker or any experienced free agent qb.
Might not help either though!
Back to the top

I think Rusty gets the opening day start simply because of the lock out but his leash is reeeeeal short
Back to the top

I think the longer the lockout goes, the better for Rusty to be the opening day starter.... Locker has to learn the system first....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

It's just bad timing, but I really feel that Rusty has gotten screwed with everything that has happened.  First he gets drafted, great!, we all think he's gonna sit the bench, practice, and learn from the veterans how to play pro ball.    NOPE!, it's "hey Rusty, welcome to the team, our starter is off to the looney bin, and our back up is hurt, here's a helmet, no go play".  That and a not so great performance (not necessarily his fault), make him look like a bust.  But it's not over,  head coach is fired, and after the season the lockout begins.  Collins (The veteran and teacher) is now gone, Locker is a high draft pick, and Rusty is trying to figure out where he stands.  I know life isn't fair, but Rusty really got the short end of the stick.

My prediction:  I agree with a previous poster, I think the job is Rusty's to lose by seniority (after one year  ???).  He will start, but he will be watched like a hawk and if he screws up then he is back to the bench.

But who knows, maybe it's the conspiracist in me but I'd bet that there are all kinds of "unofficial" deals being made with players which will come public as soon as the lockout ends. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: