Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

First Tailgate in Boca

Now that we have the stadium on campus a couple of buddies and I have been thinking about doing a night tailgate the night before the gameday.  We feel like this would be the start of a tradition if not for the first game of the season but for every home game.  Just wanted to see what others would think about this on the board and hell this could even be an idea for the SGA to promote and start. Anyone in?
Back to the top

Re: First Tailgate in Boca

I think its a great idea.

We'll have to see if FAU is going to allow it though. Some places only "open" up 4 hours before a game. If FAU goes that route it will be a huge mistake IMHO.

I hope it goes well for ya'll!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I know that a few of us have thought the same thing. We were thinking about getting there the night before and sleeping in the parking lot. Start the tailgating early.

When we went to Texas, we got in on Thursday night and there was already people in parking spots hanging outside drinking and tailgating for the opening game which was Saturday night. I know we're not Texas but just saying it was pretty cool.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Yeah, it would be a shame if the rules would not allow it, but like said it doesn't have to be for every home game maybe just the first one of the season. 
Back to the top

I'm going to work on getting a large rally going Friday's before games with the band, dance team and cheerleaders. The band has always done rallies before games but I want to get more people involved so we can get students out. I'd love to combine it with the t-shirt give aways that SGA did on Thursday nights but I don't like having rallies on Thursday. Friday is more fun, plus it would be after rehearsal so there would be more people from the band there.
Back to the top

As someone that was involved in trying to throw an "overnighter" at FAU for our football scrimmages back in 2000 I can say that the university was not quite open to the idea…at the time.  ;) The police were cool enough to call the cheif at home, in bed, at midnight, to see what the protocol was as they were allowing tailgating prior to the scrimmages on campus that fall. Our premise was that there are no time limits to pre game tailgates, so we're just really "early."

Like a lot of things at FAU, this is new to the university, so I would try and grease the skids before just showing up with 500 people, grills, kegs, snow, the works.

I'd try and find info on Texas' tailgating rules and regs so when you speak to the university, you have examples of where it's done and how it works.

Great idea though, especially for the traveling fans, RV lots.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I'm going to work on getting a large rally going Friday's before games with the band, dance team and cheerleaders. The band has always done rallies before games but I want to get more people involved so we can get students out. I'd love to combine it with the t-shirt give aways that SGA did on Thursday nights but I don't like having rallies on Thursday. Friday is more fun, plus it would be after rehearsal so there would be more people from the band there.

It would be awesome if we could get a "block party" along Lee Street on Friday nights before home games: carnival games, community tents, street vendors, gourmet food trucks, stages with live music, show a football highlight video on the scoreboard, etc. The idea being that you come out with your family on Friday night and take in the atmosphere, get pumped for the game and come back in the morning. It would also reward people who tailgate early and entice more alumni to come in and make a weekend of it instead of flying into Florida just for the game. And then over time it could expand with a ferris wheel, giant fun slide, pool party at the Rec Center, DJ/dance floor in the Alumni Hall main room, etc. Just the whole area around the stadium drawing thousands of people.

Back to the top

First Tailgate in Boca

owlcountry said

FAUfasho said

It would be awesome if we could get a "block party" along Lee Street on Friday nights before home games: carnival games, community tents, street vendors, gourmet food trucks, stages with live music, show a football highlight video on the scoreboard, etc. The idea being that you come out with your family on Friday night and take in the atmosphere, get pumped for the game and come back in the morning. It would also reward people who tailgate early and entice more alumni to come in and make a weekend of it instead of flying into Florida just for the game. And then over time it could expand with a ferris wheel, giant fun slide, pool party at the Rec Center, DJ/dance floor in the Alumni Hall main room, etc. Just the whole area around the stadium drawing thousands of people.

The night belongs to the Owls.
Back to the top

Make it happen!!! There were 100's of people last yr for the free T-shirts…an event plus free tshirts? brilliant!
Back to the top

right, so who do we talk to about this brilliant idea!?
Back to the top
Control functions: