Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BigEast expansion article

Another article out regarding Bigeast talking about football expansion.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-bigeast-marinatto

The big thing I see here which - to me - favor UCF and FAU/FIU is the emphasis on this expansion happening to enhance their network contracts.  Adding schools such as Temple (literally run off a few years back by the conference) and or Villanova (don't really want to add expenses and stadium issues by going FBS) would help the Philly market but have problems mentioned. UMass just joined MAC and ECU gives them NOTHING in media market terms.

UCF is a no brainer to me and either/or/both FAU or FIU give them huge media presence and recruiting market as well. We shall see. But the timing with the stadium being complete before they expand can't hurt! And media market is what they need and want - roll the dice and go for it President Saunders, you can sweet talk them into it, I am sure of it! Go owls!
Back to the top

Re: BigEast expansion article

BigEast expansion article

i dunno… i still think we are too young. It mentions adding teams with "value"… yeah so we are in a big tv market, we don't have a big following yet, so what good is it. Of course we move to the BE, we will grow even quicker, look at USF, moved up to #2 in a few short years.

They will take UCF, but us & FIU will be passed over without a thought.

Though, moving up to CUSA after they get raided, sure…. baby steps.
Back to the top

Probably true UNLESS the BigEast wants to go ahead and lockup the market area earlier. It was too soon for USF too (very mediocre CUSA team) but it is working for them. Top recruits ONLY want to go to a BCS auto bid conference program. CUSA would be nice, BigEast would be best - anything but the Belt (or now the WAC)!
Back to the top

I know this is all a pipe dream, but since you started a thread, I will indulge myself…

The only fit I see for us in the Big East is as a football-only member.

Moving to the BE will set our other sports back for many years IMO.  Just look what it did to us when we moved up to the SunBelt.  Sure it would be fun watching basketball against those teams (of course–we would need a new arena), but I don't think our fan base is ready to watch us lose for 8 years.

I won't buy into the argument that the BE will get us better recruits in basketball…of course it will, but with no tradition in baslketball, we will not catch those other teams for years and years.  Good recruits won't suddenly stop going to the other BE schools to go play at FAU.

baby steps…
Back to the top

Not sure why this is in the reference forum?? So…….

Moving it!

:)
Back to the top

Actually football only might just work better as they already have too many bb teams anyhow - they may go for that as the bb (no fb) programs would vote for that!
Back to the top

Football only to the BE might have a glimmer of hope, but I doubt it.... I think we can go to CUSA and do well in football, basketball and baseball.... Now that we have upgraded our facilities, lets see how much better we do in our own conference...

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I agree.  Our facilities are on the way up but the biggest thing that looks attractive on resume are wins.  Lets see how this season goes before we even consider this an option.
Back to the top

Pretty good article here:

Big East Expansion: If Not Villanova, Then Who? - Cardiac Hill

I think growth (FAU) is just as important than anything else to The Big East.  Look at enrollment growth, etc  Many of the articles out there concerning the Big East expansion mention that schools like East Carolina & UCF keep popping up year after year because of growth.

I understand that you have to look at athletics as a whole and that may be a weakness of our school; however we have the football stadium needed, we have the growth needed (best growth ever in Freshman enrollment and applicants in FAU history) and not to mention one of the best talent & media hotbeds in the country.  I hope we are at least calling The Big East and letting them know what we could offer to them?  I hope this is a huge goal of Howard's before he hands over the controls to the next generation of outstanding coaches.
Back to the top
Control functions: