Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

History of Owl Fingers?

Add topic

I've used the example of "Owl Fingers" in my info sessions to show little traditions that have been popping up in the past couple years. Does anyone know who was the first to do them? Smitty? I don't know….any help is appreciated! Also, if you have any thing you think potential students should know, feel free to suggest them!

Thanks!
Back to the top

Re: History of Owl Fingers?

I think it was a prowlers thing, but not really sure.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Hmm. Pretty sure the practice started with either the band (leaning toward that) or the prOWLers (are they even around anymore?) but other schools have been doing the OK sign for a long time.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Hmm. Pretty sure the practice started with either the band (leaning toward that) or the prOWLers (are they even around anymore?) but other schools have been doing the OK sign for a long time.

Well I can say that it wasn't the band for sure…I'm guessing it was prOWLers as well
Back to the top

History of Owl Fingers?

Its funny how the traditions that stick people don't remember who started them.
Back to the top

boozie132 said

Its funny how the traditions that stick people don't remember who started them.

Those are the best kind.  It's like sayings or any other fad, no one usually remember who started it, it just kinda appears and then takes off.

Although, as any college male should already know, if a girl asks who started any particular tradition……………..it was you.  ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

owlcountry said

Well I can say that it wasn't the band for sure…I'm guessing it was prOWLers as well

I think Daphne knows. I'll have her post later for you.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

Um I'm not sure what FAUTuba was talking about. I don't know about the "owl fingers"

I do know that during my freshman year (the 2005-2006) basketball season when we played UCF they did a cheer after free throws and then the band , cheerleaders, and the very few fans that actually showed up turned it into a FAU tradition.

Up until the past 2 seasons it was pretty much done only by the band, cheer, dance team, and "Rowdy" people. Everyone else kinda laughed but it has started to really catch on especially during the TV games.

During football games the band and cheer (maybe dance too) makes "owl fingers" and swings them over their head during kick off. Just an FYI since football season is about to start! Now would be a great time for more alumni to catch on the the little things the spirit groups do as well as learn the words to the fight song and ALMA MATER!!!!

AEA
Back to the top

I don't mean to digress away from the history but this piggy backs on what dmarkey said about teaching the alumni…now that we will actually have a scoreboard that can do multiple things at once, it would be nice for them to use it to educate the fans.

Examples:  On kickoffs, while using most of the board to show the action, they could use a portion of the board to show people putting up owl fingers.

After touchdowns and the band starts playing the fight song and everyone is looking at the scoreboard for the reply, a portion of the board could be running the words to the fight song.

Fans would catch on really quickly.  At least now we have the tool to do this–we just have to actually do it!
Back to the top

In 2002, then-FAU Dance Coach Anissa and I spoke about what "hang signal" we would use and start a tradition. We developed the "Owl Fingers" and started using them in 2002 during football season. It took a long time to catch on, but it finally did.

I'm not sure if anyone before Anissa and I came up with it, but that's the history I know.

And,  if you hold up your Owl Fingers right now, your fingers spell Owl: the index finger and thumb is the "O,", the middle, ring and pinky is the "W", and the outside of your pinky and the side of your hand is the "L."

Ohh… the days when it was only Anissa and I holding up our Owl Fingers and people would laugh. Now, it's a tradition!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top
Control functions: