Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Next FAU Coach?

Well we knew it would happen eventually and now that it finally has I'm going to give my take on some of the names out there, so here goes…

Randy Shannon - guy runs a good program. No violations, recruited good kids and they graduated, good recruiter and all high character guy. Miami fans didn't really have a problem with him and most of them realize his importance, he just couldn't get them to that next level.  He came in and got the program on the right track.

Why I wouldn't want him at FAU: He couldn't take UM to the next level even though they had a couple of the top recruiting classes in the country multiple times. Yes he's a good recruiter but aren't most coaches at places like UM? I mean, its not a tough sell with facilities, tradition and other stuff. Yes he'd run a clean program and we'd probably do fairly well but at this time I think we could get someone better.

Final thoughts: I'd certainly take him and it would keep FAU relevant with a "big name" hire but I think we might be able to do better.

Butch Davis - I honestly don't know much about the guy other than he made NC football relevant in the ACC. Others can probably make a case for him so I'll let you guys figure that out. I've heard he's a good recruiter and a solid presence in South Florida.

Why I wouldn't want him: The violations he's accused of are too fresh. He just got fired so I kind of feel like it wouldn't be the smartest thing. Plus, didn't NC have to play without a whole bunch of players on D in a bowl game two years ago? He seems like a gamble as far as violations go.

MIKE LEACH - You guys didn't think I'd leave him out did you?! lol I've made it well known for months now that he should be our next coach and I'll give some reasons why.

He runs a clean program, TT never had any major violations, his players graduate and he has an exciting offense. I know a lot of you like having a pro-style offense, heck I love it, but Leach's offense is just plain exciting to watch. He also runs a "pass-spread" style offense so it is closer to a pro-style attack. His teams have always been tops in the country in passing.

The guy LOVES south Florida, he lives in the Keys! Don't you think he'd like the fact that he could see the ocean from our stadium?! Instead of driving or flying home he could just hop in a boat on the weekends and literally cruise on down. Also, I think he would be our best bet at staying here for a longer time, I could see the other two coaches leaving once they get some success and get back in college football's good graces. I could see Leach sticking around and trying to build something special because we are in an area that he likes. Also, I'd guarantee that if he did just stay for 3-4 years that we'd have winning seasons every year he was here.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, HE WOULD SELL TICKETS! People would come JUST to see Leach coach. There have been a few on Ted's blog that said they'd instantly become season ticket holders if he became HC here. This is a VERY important time for FAU, a few years of a solid football program and the stadium is going to pay for itself no problem and we'll be on our way to building an even stronger program as well as support from the community. But if we hire an untested OC/DC from an AQ who can't cut it as a HC and have a couple average/below average years then we are stuck with a beautiful empty stadium.

If you still aren't convinced, here's a list of things that I found online from my "HIRE Mike Leach" thread

* 10 consecutive winning seasons
    * 8 consecutive seasons with at least 8 wins
    * 4 seasons with at least 9 wins[61]
    * 1 season with 11 wins
    * 9 consecutive bowl appearances[62]
    * 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)[62]
    * 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25[63]
    * 19–11 record against in-state conference rivals Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M
    * 53–11 record at Jones AT&T Stadium, home of the Texas Tech Red Raider football team
    * 2008 AP Big 12 Coach of the Year[31]
    * 2008 Big 12 Coach of the Year[32]
    * Coached 1 Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best Wide Receiver) winner: Michael Crabtree (two-time winner)
    * Coached 1 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (Best Senior Quarterback) winner: Graham Harrell
    * Coached 1 Mosi Tatupu Award (Best Kick Returner) winner: Wes Welker
    * Coached 3 Sammy Baugh Trophy (Outstanding Quarterback) winners: Kliff Kingsbury, B.J. Symons, and Graham Harrell
    * More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken as Texas Tech's head coach[8]

*Note - the argument that we aren't going to be able to pay isn't an issue here. These three coaches literally have MILLIONS of dollars from their previous employers. My guess is that they are just itching to get back into coaching/be a head coach again. That "itch" is what would draw them to FAU and allow them to look past how much we could pay them.

Jim Levitt- Good coach, knows how to build a program but I just don't like the guy. I know he's high energy but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

Gary Nord - great OC, not so great HC but who knows maybe he could learn from his mistakes. Still I'd prefer a big name guy to help sell tickets.

I'm against bringing in an OC or assistant coach or anything from a larger school just because they don't have any experience as a HC and could be a total bust, ie. Nord. Also, we need to sell tickets and a big name can do that. People will come to see Leach but not Jim Nancypants even if he had the best O-line at his previous institution.

Closing thoughts - Mike Leach is the guy for us. He's a good guy, runs a good program, loves south Florida and he'll put butts in seats, which is probably more important than anything else right now.

Also, this.

OK, I think I hit everything I wanted to, lol.

Who do YOU think we should choose for our next coach.

Back to the top

Re: Next FAU Coach?

Mike Leach - HC
Jim Leavitt - DC

Hello BIG EAST!
Back to the top

I'd love for Leach to the next HC and as each season passed by without him getting any offers I think our chances improved. You gotta figure Howard told Angelos about this decision as soon as he knew so that Angelos can start laying the groundwork. I'm sure if they have any interest in Leach (which I hope they do) that Angelos has already reached out to him or his agent.

We can't worry about ESPN not wanting to show our games because of our head coach. We gotta worry about winning games and selling out the stadium and moving the program forward. If Leach does become the coach and FAU finds sucsess I find it hard to believe they won't pick up any of our games.

This goes for Angelos as well as Leach. If either side is waivering about the hire look at Jarvis for an example (yes we know he needs a new contract) but here's a guy who coached in the SEC equivelent of college basketball had success until he left because of violations/moral issues. Similar to that of Leach. From Leaches POV look at the success Jarvis had, got us a nationally televised game on ESPN in which we demolished UALR and turned around a team that won what like 5 games his first season? If Leach has the success Jarvis has here the skys the limit in our success.

As for Angelos, everyone told him to stay away from Jarvis, he passed on him once before to hire Doh, finally he hires Jarvis who lives in S Florida and had a bad wrap surrounding his name (like Leach). Since he's been here he's been an upstanding member of the community, no violations and I think as a religious man he would be proud of the way he's running this team.

Sorry its such a long post, haven't posted in a while….

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Great post Jab!
Back to the top

I'm all for Leach.  He'd be  great hire for a number of reasons.  However, how about some other names that are out there that haven't been discussed.  One that came to mind right away was Mike Shula.  He's been a head coach in college and has a ton of NFL coaching experience…not to mention the obvious connections to Schnelly and South Florida.  Thoughts…or any other potential candidates?
Back to the top

Next FAU Coach?

I just hope we focus on Leach. Let him know we REALLY want him, we will take care of him and that the program is his to build. I think he takes it personally!
Back to the top

I'll add a quick thing that I may have missed..I'd rather have a HC from a DIV II or D. I AA school who has had a lot of success because you know he knows how to run a program/make tough decisions. Remember, it's not just about recruiting and stuff but has that coach ever had to make a tough call late in the game or something.

Also, I was watching a video of Leach today (I was looking for that video of him going nuts after the game) and found a quick interview where somebody asked him why he stayed at Tech for so long and his answer was simply "Because they asked me to." Granted they did sign him to a "competitive" contract last Feb but the fact that he said that shows loyalty that could help us if we give him a chance.

BTW- I know it seems like I'm "Leach crazy" but he's just the best candidate for us in my opinion but that's not saying I'm not open to other coaches, he's just the best that I know of.

Back to the top

Not a fan of putting all our eggs into the Leach basket.  He'd be a top candidate for sure, but he's far from the only qualified coach out there.  Another potential candidate:  Terry Bowden.  131-59-2 head coacing record.  He has coached at multiple levels.  Spent a number of years at Auburn, and is currently the head man at D-II North Alabama.  If he's willing to coach at North Alabama, salary is less of an issue for him then a guy like Leach.  He's also 55, so he is less likely to be using FAU as a stepping stone.

So in my quest to compile a list of prospective coaches (hopefully Craig Angelos is reading), I've come up with Mike Shula and Terry Bowden.  Thoughts?

Back to the top

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TO  Shannon he under achieved at UM with the beast talent in the conference. It will not matter if he can recruit the best talent in the Belt he is not  a good game day coach. He was about .500 at Miami with top talent in a weak ACC over the last couple years.
What Leach and Davis have in common is they had less talent and won Leach had Less talent then Texas and OU but beat them same with Davis at UNC a basketball school and did well there until some thing i felt was out of his control.
Back to the top

Not saying they should hire Randy Shannon, but I wouldn't be against it. His teams did have talent at UM and his program was clean. He did win games, just not enough to meet expectations down there.  I'm sure he made mistakes and hopefully learned from them. His main selling point is that he was able to bring in very good recruits and has great connections in the area. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I do see the reasons FAU would have interest.
Back to the top
Control functions: