Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference shake ups continue

Add topic

This is a text message I just got from ESPN: Source confirms Texas A-M to join SEC; Clemson, Florida St, Missouri also likely to join……

With all this conference shake ups going on, the acc is going to have to replace FSU and Clemson. I think with the stadium on campus now we may have a shot at Big East or at the very least C-USA

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Conference shake ups continue

Back to the top

If A&M jump to the SEC, BIG TIME changes in order. SEC hads to decide to add 1 or 3 more (I say they take control of their destiny and pick of the litter by going to 16). Then PAC-12 follows, then Big10 and ACC.

What happens to the Big12 and Texas?

What does the BigEast do with their piddly 9, it would take adding SEVEN (7) football programs to achieve equal status as a superconference, which would probably be required to hold an automatic BCS slot!?

CUSA will be hit by defections to fill those slots for sure, especially if the Big12 and Texas try to survive and jump up too.

Finally, where does FAU and/or FIU land. Both are in one of the biggest media markets available for expansion as now the ACC holds out down here with UM.  I GUARANTEE, one or more other "superconferences" will want to claim a footprint in the South Florida media market for "their" media contract negotiations after the dominos fall!

Bottom line for FAU If this starts to happen - new stadium, new coach, new conference (I still say BigEast or maybe even ACC if they get hit with as many as three defections (FSU, Clemson, Va. Tech., Ga Tech. are all possible targets)! They would then also need 7 to get back to the 16 team level.
Back to the top

I believe moving to the Big East was one of the last remaining goals on Coach S's TO DO list.
Back to the top

I do not mind moving as long as it is for football only, Could you imagine having to play Georgetown, SJU, Cuse, etc twice a yr in Bball?
Back to the top

Not now. But in a couple of improved recruiting classes. Imagine us in football now - we would be Legitimate pick for last now! But become BCS auto bid conference member and recruiting JUMPS just like it did for USF.
Back to the top

ACC for F(A-I) U isn't happening, at least not in the foreseeable future. Here's my take on what happens.

ACC is going to need to replace those 2 teams Clemson and FSU. There's no way Miami is going to be the only Florida team in a conference called the Atlantic Coast. Expect USF and Syracuse to make the jump to the ACC. 'Cuse has been rumored to be going there once before. They can get out of the Big LEast for football, and in BBall shift the balance of power from the Big East to the ACC. Can you imagine Duke, North Carolina, and Syracuse all in the same conference along with Maryland, Ga Tech and NC State.  I think that would rival Louisville, St. Johns, Georgetown, UConn

As for football, like it or not we are behind USF and UCF on the depth charts. USF is the likely choice because it's not in the same market as Miami, and it gives the ACC the Tampa/Orlando area market as well which is also really big. They have the facilities because they play at RayJ and they beat Miami last year showing they can beat an ACC team and they were ranked # 3 in the country within the last 5 years. To me just makes the most sense.

As for 'Cuse it gives the ACC the NY market which they don't currently have. It will also cut down on travel expenses for BC (not that expenses matter to these teams) but the closest ACC team to BC is Maryland. Plus ESPN would have a field day with the whole Boston/NY thing.

The Big East would then be down to 6 teams. You obviously can't run a conference with 6 teams. It wouldn't surprise me if they went and depleted C-USA. Possibly looking to add anywhere from 4-6 teams from C=USA/SunBelt. UCF, East Carolina are definites, and MAYBE Memphis. Meaning that there could be room for maybe 3 Sunbelt schools if they choose to go to 12.

However, at the same time the Big 12 won't want to be outdone by the SEC and losing A & M and Mizzou may go after Houston from C-USA or maybe a West Virginia from the Big East.

Long story short, this is where having Howard on our side comes in handy. In these situations it's all about who you know and when you've been around the game as long as he has, who doesn't he know? He may be retiring as coach but I'd be shocked if he didn't stay on in some capacity. Director of football operations or something like that. If we're going to make the jump to the BE or even C-USA we need Howard and we need him to campaign for us.

It worked for USF why can't it work for us?

Back to the top

Good analysis Jab - and having Howard out there on the front lines for us is HUGE right now. If it ends up six 16-team superconferences we don't want to be one of the 24 left out. between the stadium, our media market pull and Howard I beleive we will make it. I can easily count 24 other programs with less assets than those I just listed, especially media market addition to any superconference.
Back to the top

FSU has denied being contacted by the SEC...
Back to the top

Conference shake ups continue

Rick said

FSU has denied being contacted by the SEC…

Bill Clinton also denied having sexual relations with "that woman"

Guess we'll wait and see what happens. Should be interesting

Back to the top
Control functions: