Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM debacle--upside for Owls?

UM debacle--upside for Owls?

I know the situation is "fluid" right now, but it will be interesting to see what the repercussions will be for recruiting. Shapiro appears to be a low-life who will do anything to change his current situation.

Oops got the name wrong on initial post Evan Cohen made a pretty funny joke on twitter last night

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Re: UM debacle--upside for Owls?

Ugh.  I saw people on the FIU message board asking the same question and the answer is NO.  There is no real upside for either the Owls or FIU.  The players that would go to UM aren't going to suddenly decide to play in the Sun Blet instead.  Fans won't come flocking to FAU or FIU games because of the UM mess either.  Heck, fans don't exactly flock to UM games as it is now.  The only "upside" to any of this for us is that this came out now before we possibly had the chance to hire Randy Shannon.
Back to the top

Well it really depends on what happens with the NCAA, after all, there may be NO UM program in a year or two. The crap pulled down there from players coaches administrators (we expect this from scum "boosters", aka PIMPS) will not be tolerated. Bare minimum the heaviest post season ban and scholly reductions EVER, and possibly even the Death Penalty.

Another issue, what do you think the ACC thinks of this just after the NC "problems". They will clean house internally as well - they have a reputation to uphold as well. They could conceivably run them out or at minimum put their own bans and restrictions on their "members".

As far as Butch, if I were FIU I would keep him off my campus, seems to be a problem there don't you think - recurring patterns type stuff. DEFINATELY scratch him OFF any FAU coaching search list - along with Shannon. Hire LEACH NOW Mr. Angelos and President Saunders - make some POSITIVE news for FAU while the U sinks. Go Owls! FIll our 30,000 seats for EVERY home game! Go Owls!
Back to the top

If Miami gets the death penalty and there is no college football for them, then I could see FIU and FAU geting a small boost.

This is where Howard and Angelos would come in. Both were part of Miami during the "good ole days", and as far as we know "clean". Folks will remember with fondness Howards tenure with the U and may come out to see his new baby.

Ugly down in Coral Gables to be sure.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Georgia–I was thinking along those lines i.e. worst case scenario. I don't want to even say the term (DP) because that would be horrible. What I was thinking is if that happened it could have serious implications even regards to conference re-alignment.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

I seriously doubt the NCAA hands out the death penalty to UM.  If they do it to them, they will have to do it for everyone that does this sort of thing…and I'm certain there are TONS of schools with similar activities going on.  The site SPORTSbyBROOKS has been chronicling things that have been going on in Alabama for a while now (with pictures and stories) and that story has yet to break nationally.  Do you think the NCAA wants to give multiple marquee programs the death penalty? 
Back to the top

maybe a slight trickle down effect but i doubt you notice anything.

good point about randy. this doesn't help him for a new job at all. hello d3.
Back to the top

Yeah, they cant give the death penalty to UM if they dont to basically the ENTIRE SEC aside from Vandy.

The people involved (students and boosters alike) need to be held more accountable.  Just being embarassed or trophys taken away like Reggie Bush IS NOT ENOUGH.  He gets to sit back and laugh with millions in the bank while he smears his Universitys name, affects the current program and its student athletes and coaches and basically just laugh.

You sign a CONTRACT to play at a University and recieve a scholarship.  A CONTRACT is a legal document and breaking it should come with heftier punishments than just handing a trophy back.

The UM debacle would only help FAU if they made a huge splash hire like Leach.  But do we really want players that I have to pay for abortions for?  I need to start putting money away for these type of things.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Why does the NCAA just not investigate every institution and put every school and team on an even playing field? Does it always have to come to a source even after so many have been hit with this stuff?
Back to the top

rdownin1 said

Why does the NCAA just not investigate every institution and put every school and team on an even playing field? Does it always have to come to a source even after so many have been hit with this stuff?

Too much money in college athletics for this to happen. It happens EVERYWHERE. Maybe not to this extent that Miami has but most likely EVERY school has something going on. The REAL issue here is not so much that it happened. Its that the Atheletics Department KNEW it was happening and didnt do anything.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: