Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Shaves Heads to Support Brother of Teammate

Add topic

FAU Baseball Shaves Heads to Support Brother of Teammate

FAU baseball coaches, players and support staff all joined in today to shave their heads in support of Cody Meiers (photo top center above), brother of junior pitcher Jake Meiers, who was recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer known as Ewing Sarcoma. The disease affects less than 300 Americans per year.

The event was sponsored by Geared for Men, a local barber shop that came to the Boca Raton campus to volunteer their services.

And, while some had more to "lose" than others, all were happy to oblige in participating.

“Awesome turnout today as the guys really stepped up to come through for a good cause,” said John McCormack, FAU’s head baseball coach.

The baseball team did not hesitate when the idea was suggested by McCormack.

“As school got closer shaving their heads was an idea that the guys wanted to do after I posed it to them and we were able to make it happen,” noted McCormack. “His family will go home knowing that we care about them."

Wednesday’s event also brought a lot of smiles to the Meiers family.

“It definitely means a lot to my brother.  When he first walked in he got a huge smile and it hasn’t left,” said Jake Meiers.  “The team is very supportive of me and my family.  It’s awesome.  We are just one big family.”

Anyone interested in contributing financial support to the Cody Meiers’ Angel Fund can visit www.codysangels.com.
Back to the top
Control functions: