Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Positives from UF game?

We can all see the negatives, which really was to be expected.  UF is just in another class in terms of the athletes they put on the field, but now that there has been a night to reflect on what happened, can anyone think of any positives to take away from last night's ugly game besides the fact that it is over?

Off the top of my head, I have five:

1.  The defense forcing 3 INTs.  I thought the young secondary played well, considering the competition.  That was the most explosive team we are likely to face all season, so hopefully the results will get better from here.

2.  I thought Wilbert rebounded well after a rough start.  Granted he didn't have much time to throw, but when he did get an extra second or two, he made some plays.  He showed some real poise and didn't make any mistakes.  When we get into SBC games, that should translate into success for the passing game.

3.  All the young players now have a game of experience, and that environment was probably the toughest we'll face.  Nexon Dorvilus seems to be stepping into the TE role nicely.

4.  Groody punted well.  The block wasn't his fault.

5.  Willie Floyd looks like the most expolsive kick returner we've had in years.

Back to the top

Re: Positives from UF game?

Was it pretty to watch? NO

But I agree that the positives noted were there and something to build on.  I definitely thought Graham settled in and if he had 3 seconds was good. This game does not mean we can't compete in the sunbelt.

What matters is to collect the check, stay healthy and get better for the conference games.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

We can all see the negatives, which really was to be expected.  UF is just in another class in terms of the athletes they put on the field, but now that there has been a night to reflect on what happened, can anyone think of any positives to take away from last night's ugly game besides the fact that it is over?

Off the top of my head, I have five:

1.  The defense forcing 3 INTs.  I thought the young secondary played well, considering the competition.  That was the most explosive team we are likely to face all season, so hopefully the results will get better from here.

2.  I thought Wilbert rebounded well after a rough start.  Granted he didn't have much time to throw, but when he did get an extra second or two, he made some plays.  He showed some real poise and didn't make any mistakes.  When we get into SBC games, that should translate into success for the passing game.

3.  All the young players now have a game of experience, and that environment was probably the toughest we'll face.  Nexon Dorvilus seems to be stepping into the TE role nicely.

4.  Groody punted well.  The block wasn't his fault.

5.  Willie Floyd looks like the most expolsive kick returner we've had in years.

6. I thought Damian Fortner had some good runs…gonna help out in Sun Belt play.

7. $500,000
Back to the top

It was about as positive as HIV..
Back to the top

'lets keep these next two close…the secondary was great but the LB's in coverage not so much or maybe that was by design?
Back to the top

Negatives:

1) The overall lack of team speed as compared to UF was painfully evident.

2) Absolutely no running game.

3) Gave up way too many big plays on defense and too many third and long conversions.

Positives:

1) The QB play was decent given the pressure by the UF defense.

2) The front seven did make some nice plays defensively including getting into the UF backfield more than I expected they would. However, every time they made a play for a loss they turned around and gave up a long yardage play.

3) Game experience.

4) No major injuries.

5) Coach was not on the sidelines so no risk of taking a shot on that fresh hip.

6) A paycheck.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Well our punt returners looked pretty solid.
Back to the top

+3 turnover margin, few penalties, half a mil, valuable game experience for our qb and team (vs. SEC no less!) and as far as I know, no serious injuries - GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Graham came back and did a nice job, but im ready to see Bracewell move into that no. 2 spot and lets see what he can do.
Back to the top

Positives from UF game?

Aside from two stupid penalties We were a pretty disciplined team, so ethnic we have complained about for the last few years, so that's a step in the right direction
Back to the top
Control functions: