Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ MSU - 09/10/11 @ 12:00 p.m.

Add topic

The Matchup: FAU (0-1) vs. MSU (1-0)

The Series: MSU 2, FAU 0

09/13/08 A L 17-0
09/11/10 H/N L 30-17

When: Saturday, September 10th, 12:00 p.m.

Where: Spartan Stadium

TV: ESPN2

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Lansing, MI

Weather: Current Conditions @ Spartan Stadium

Latest Line: Here

Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU @ MSU - 09/10/11 @ 12:00 p.m.

Game Week Thread: FAU @ MSU - 09/10/11 @ 12:00 p.m.

Florida Atlantic posted just 30 yards rushing against a formidable Florida defensive unit in on Saturday, taking a 41-3 thumping to open their season in the process. While there were brief moments of chemistry, a complete package attack was no where to be found, and consistent cohesiveness was lacking as well. The Owls will need to quickly regroup and make the proper adjustments in order to produce some meaningful drives and keep the defense off the field for the the majority of the game.

Of note, MSU has tallied just 47 points in the two prior meetings combined - something that should continue to play in the Owls' favor given more favorable match-ups versus last weeks opponent, improvement defensively over the last two years, and the apparent ability of FAU coaches to scout the Spartans' offense well.

However, onlookers of last Saturday's contest aren't showing any confidence in this happening as of yet, with FAU currently a +33 underdog. This is likely do to the anemic offensive showing presented, and rightfully so.

Meanwhile, Michigan State kicked off its 2011 campaign before the highest home crowd at Spartan Field since 1987 (75,910) with a 28-6 win over Youngstown State. WR B.J. Cunningham had a career high performances in both catches (9) and yards (130). Spartans fifth-year senior QB Kirk Cousins, who is regarded as one of the top NFL draft-eligible prospects, was super efficient behind an 18 of 22, 222 yard performance as well.

But the result was not as expected from a pre-season ranked #17 squad going up against a DI FCS opponent.

"I think everyone has got to take a look at themselves, coaches, players, everybody and go back and get ready to play the next one against Florida Atlantic. I think it can certainly serve to motivate us by asking the question, `Who are we? Who are we as a football team?' Hopefully that wasn't us out there. But we did win, and as Coach Perles used to say, 'They all count one.' Credit Youngstown, but I think at the same time we have the ability to play much better than that", said Head Coach Mark Dantonio afterwards.
Back to the top

One thing is for certain...MSU will play a whole lot better than they did yesterday...
Back to the top

owlmart said

One thing is for certain…MSU will play a whole lot better than they did yesterday…

Probably not likely we will be in the same situation we were last year towards the end of the contest when we went for a FG rather than a TD either, but that is exactly why they play the game…

Regardless, expecting a better showing from the Owls on the 9th!

;D

Back to the top

"Week 1 to Week 2 is typically your greatest improvement, so that's obviously what we're working for," said senior quarterback Kirk Cousins. "Next week will be very important – to make sure we clean things up."

Michigan State Looks to Build Off Opening Victory
Back to the top

We have played FAU for a few years now.. and it seems always in East Lansing.. Sure wish we could visit Boca, but I think the contract is up..

From looking at the FAU stats form last week, ignoring the loss, a few items jump out. The Fumble sand INTs from the OWL “D”.. 3 ints, and 2 fumbles, 1 fumble on a Florida snap.

And understanding the Spartans were a little less than dominant against Youngstown State, what makes FAU believe they will head into Spartan Stadium and win this week ??

Also, why did the FAU AD last year price the tickets (in Ford Field) to the game so high no one attended ?

Opie
www.SpartyMSU.com
Back to the top

SpartyMSU said

And understanding the Spartans were a little less than dominant against Youngstown State, what makes FAU believe they will head into Spartan Stadium and win this week ??

Also, why did the FAU AD last year price the tickets (in Ford Field) to the game so high no one attended ?

Opie
www.SpartyMSU.com

Welcome to the forum, SpartyMSU!

1. I don't think anyone is thinking that FAU "will" win right now, but a better performance than what was presented last Saturday should be on the menu. Never know, though - stranger things have happened. And we are certainly overdue for some "strange" happenings our way.

2. To make money, which we did.

Ps…wish you could come down too…the weather is fine this time of year…put in the good word ;)
Back to the top

We did a decent job against UF's pro style offense they just had way too much speed for us…MSU does not have the same speed, it will be a better game to watch than last week that's for sure
Back to the top

So tell me just how MSU has retained thier #17 ranking with a 28-6 win over a FCS team, while the Gators go to #18…
Back to the top

I vote in one of the smaller polls, and I did keep both teams in the rankings.
  http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/rankings/college-football-blogpoll-top-25
What I can say about MSU is that we will not see atleast 75% of their play book until the Notre Dame game.  Last week against Youngstown, they were throwing to practically 1 receiver only, B.J. Cunningham, even when others were open. No reason to open up the game yet.

They also ran only a couple types of run plays.  The play book was limited on purpose.  But, due to what was seen in the game against YS, things are already changing in the MSU depth chart this week. Example: The front line has been reshuffled again this week after off sides by a couple young men.  http://www.freep.com/article/20110906/SPORTS07/110906038/Michigan-State-changes-up-depth-chart?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

I am sure both FAU and MSU will play better this week, but I do not expect to see much of the play book till a little later in the season.  Like I said earlier, the ints and forced fumbles from FAu are a BIG concern this week.

As for the rankings, if you start out in the top 25, unless you have a total fail in the first 2 games, you will stay in. Only teams I dropped out were Notre dame with the loss against South Florida and Georgia. Now if FAU beats MSU, they will drop out of the top 25….

I am sure this week will be a good game, your welcome to stop by for a cold one and tailgate MSU style…
Back to the top
Control functions: