Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Former Owl Jarrid Smith Calling for "The Mustache Challenge"

Ah yes, 2007...the true Owl Fan's brightest season.

one of the young men who made that happen was Jarrid Smith, former offensive linemen for the Owls. That year he was a Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference recipient. Often soft spoken, he could turn it up a notch when feeling the need to be an effective leader by his words. You may recall an example of such, at the beginning of this clip of the Owls' 2007 New Orleans Bowl highlight video:

Fast forward to 2011, and Jarrid now finds himself like the rest of us: A Fan. However, he is once again rallying the troops.

Loyal to the end, he will never turn on his his team. Accordingly, he has come up with a unique way to show support and carry out one of his affections, quirky superstitions.

He even has a blog up about it. You can read that Here, but below is the crux of the matter, or should I say "challenge"?

"One the ride home from FAUs loss to UF this past weekend I mentioned in passing to my fiance that I wouldn’t shave my mustache until the team won, thus the GMC was born!  The GMC is a test of will and against popular culture (considering the ‘stache has been out of style for years).  It is a challenge that should be undertaken only by FAU fans that bleed blue and red.  To the faithful (and well-groomed) this challenge is bestowed, will you heed the call?"

Looking at the schedule, one's Stache may not have that long to grow...after all, ULL is on the horizon - just 23 days away.

Might have to take this challenge.......
Back to the top

Re: Former Owl Jarrid Smith Calling for "The Mustache Challenge"

Classic. Go oldschool with a handlebar, or as I call it, Owl wings.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Owl Wings... I like it

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

My Halloween costume a few years ago

Back to the top

This is Jarrid

Rick - thanks for taking up the challenge! ULL isn't that far away but hopefully this challenge will bring a win sooner (fanatic speak)

Boozie132 - great costume

owlfan1 said

boozie132 said

Owl Wings - I love it!
Back to the top

I'll have to grow mine in sprit.

The wife is an AVID hater of the stache, so much so that I was threatened to be cutoff from a certain activity that I enjoy if I kept growing mine a few years back.  8)

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

boozie132 said

Nice!

Can't match those bars, but going to do my best…

;D
Back to the top

owlfamily said

I'll have to grow mine in sprit.

The wife is an AVID hater of the stache, so much so that I was threatened to be cutoff from a certain activity that I enjoy if I kept growing mine a few years back.  8)

i'LL CONSIDER YOU THE ULTIMATE FAN!!!
Back to the top

Former Owl Jarrid Smith Calling for "The Mustache Challenge"

Ok…I hate staches, but this is cool. I'm in…as a latin dude it will take me like 2 gays to grow one. Jarrid, you are the man…it's ideas like yours that give us spirit.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: