Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Auburn - 09/24/11 @ 7:00 p.m.

Add topic

Game Week Thread: FAU @ Auburn - 09/24/11 @ 7:00 p.m.

The Matchup: FAU (0-2) vs. Auburn (2-1)

The Series: First Ever Meeting

When: Saturday, September 24th, 7:00 p.m.

Where: Jordan-Hare Stadium

Auburn Team Site: Here

TV: FSN (Sun Sports in FL)

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Auburn, AL

Weather: Current Conditions @ Jordan-Hare Stadium

Latest Line: Here
Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU @ Auburn - 09/24/11 @ 7:00 p.m.

After a much needed week off, FAU will take to the gridiron this Saturday for their first meeting against the Tigers. Florida Atlantic posted just 30 yards rushing against Florida in their season opener at The Swamp, but saw matters worsen the following contest against MSU netting 22 yards on the ground, and a concerning 48 yards overall on offense.

The Owls will need to get the ground attack in order quickly if they have any hopes of producing a winning record in league play, which assuredly means formulating a consistent plan to open some holes for this guy:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

This will be no easy feat to accomplish given the lack of production displayed by the offensive line thus far. However, they do have some time to continue to work, and Saturday offers a paid rehearsal for a showing of growth.

But the passing game needs work as well. While FAU is a respectable 20-of-40 in completions heading into the contest, production has been lacking with 133 total yards (119th nationally). That's not going to draw the attention of an opponent's defense enough to make things easy by foot.

Despite relying on a pro-set, the Owls do have a plethora of formations with multiple receivers or tightends at their disposal. Will they tap that aspect of the play book, or remain conservative as not to tip their hand before more important contests later? Time will tell.

For the home team, two close wins was followed by a 38-24 loss to Clemson and sets the stage for the chance to regain a mark in the win column.

The Tigers survived a scare on opening day via the almighty Utah State Aggies. Down 10 points with 3:38 to play, Auburn employed a pair of minute-and-a-half scoring drives to avoid what could have been a serious embarrassment before a group of 85,245 attendees.

"No question about it, I think it is obvious that everybody that saw the game realizes that we did not play well as a football team. There are no excuses for that. We just didn't play well. I think it was very evident that our most experienced part of our football team is our special teams", said Head Coach Gene Chizik.

To his liking, things got back to normal against Mississippi State, as the Tigers produced a goal line stand to pull away with a 41-34 win over the then #16 Bulldogs. "I think we got better. We didn't change anything. We got our running game going, and we needed to do that", Chizik said.

While they may have gotten their run game going, MSU had 333 yards on the turf despite losing. And that is an encouraging stats for the struggling Owls.

Most recently, Clemson stormed back after being down 14-0 in the first quarter to snap Auburn's nation leading 17 game win streak.

"It's been a long time since we lost," Auburn safety Demetruce McNeal said. "I guess it's a new feeling for us all."

Defense played an integral part in the loss as Clemson converted on 10 straight third-down attempts at one point in the game. Compounding matters was also giving up a whopping 624 yards for the contest.

Perhaps the Owls will find solace for the first time this season against a formidable opponent when trying to move the ball.
Back to the top

Oh great an angry Auburn team...
Back to the top

Well, not a lot of change in the confidence on the game with FAU opening at +31.5…….

Thought maybe the Swiss Cheese defense displayed by the Tigers may help a little but, however it looks like the Owls are not getting any respect at all in their ability to progress the pigskin.
Back to the top

Rick said

Well, not a lot of change in the confidence on the game with FAU opening at +31.5…….

Thought maybe the Swiss Cheese defense displayed by the Tigers may help a little but, however it looks like the Owls are not getting any respect at all in their ability to progress the pigskin.
10 first downs, a TD, and 200 yds of offense and I'll feel good…
Back to the top

I'll take that as well!

As long as the Tigers don't score 40+ points in the process!

Hopeful to see some improvement on both sides of the ball…….

;D
Back to the top

owlmart said

Oh great an angry Auburn team…

Maybe they'll find a better way to make us look bad than we will.
Back to the top

owlmart said

10 first downs, a TD, and 200 yds of offense and I'll feel good…

+1

That would make me feel better as well. Ill up the Ante by saying the D gets 1 pick.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Auburn defensive coordinator Ted Roof says:

Tigers Must Tackle Better

Back to the top

At least they play a style of offense more like our Belt opponents, which will at least give the D a chance to work on some stuff for conference play. I do hope if we have any special schemes on D we hold them back for LL and NT the following weeks though, we need to win at least one game before coming home. This game is basically meaningless except to the checkbook. And I agree 10 FD and 10 Pts,. would be a good step up for us as of now. Then let's take it too the BELT!
Back to the top
Control functions: