Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

University of New Mexico has an opening for Head Coach - Leach mentioned...

This is from football rumor mill: Mike Leach, former Texas Tech head coach

Why he should be considered:  He took a Texas Tech program from a smaller town like Lubbock and built them into a national contender.  He was 84-43 at Texas Tech from 2000-09, when he didn't have a single losing season.  He knows the Texas recruiting base and would be the fans first choice.

Why he probably won't get the job:  The word on the street is he will replace Howard Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic.  Also, if he did get the job at UNM he would bolt for greener pastures after the first sign of success.

Back to the top

Re: University of New Mexico has an opening for Head Coach - Leach mentioned...

FAU said

Why he probably won't get the job:  The word on the street is he will replace Howard Schnellenberger at Florida Atlantic.  Also, if he did get the job at UNM he would bolt for greener pastures after the first sign of success.

1.  Hats off to Teddy H. for making this "rumor" stick.
2.  What makes anyone think Leech will stay here past the first sign of success??  (I am not complaining, as I would love to have him here)
Back to the top

Leach stayed at Texas Tech for 10 years, fielding offers from bigger programs and more money along the way, he wanted to take them to the top. The only proof we have is what he's done in the past, and he stuck around at Tech.

Texas Tech WAS FAU when Leach arrived there, they're very similar to us in many ways. 30k students and way down on the list of football programs in the state, only way to go was up.
Back to the top

University of New Mexico has an opening for Head Coach - Leach mentioned...

TeamBeer said

Texas Tech WAS FAU when Leach arrived there, they're very similar to us in many ways. 30k students and way down on the list of football programs in the state, only way to go was up.

Texas Tech WAS NOT FAU when Leach arrived.Texas Tech has been fielding a team since 1937 and they had made numerous bowl appearances since 1937. They were SW Conference Co-Champs in 1994 and in 14 seasons under Spyke Dykes they had a .550 winning percentage.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

TeamBeer said

Texas Tech WAS NOT FAU when Leach arrived.Texas Tech has been fielding a team since 1937 and they had made numerous bowl appearances since 1937. They were SW Conference Co-Champs in 1994 and in 14 seasons under Spyke Dykes they had a .550 winning percentage.

GO OWLS!!!

Yes, they've been around longer but they were in no way a team to be reckoned with in the state of Texas:
"Leach is one of the brightest minds in college football who did a damn good job at Texas Tech, especially considering what had come before him. They had won eight or more games only twice in 23 seasons before Leach arrived. They won at least that many eight times in Leach’s 10 seasons."
Back to the top

Im sure every newly vacant Head Coaching position will have Leach as a Candidate.

He's one of the biggest names out there.

If one of the "big boys" doesnt come a calling, then FAU I think has the advantage. No way we can compete with big program AQ money, but if his options are all Non-AQ or low end AQ we will probably look very good to him.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

With every day that passes with the Mike Leach rumors-- I await my Beiber teeny bopper moment. Please Football gods make it happen. ;D

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

owlfan1 said

TeamBeer said

GO OWLS!!!

Yes, they've been around longer but they were in no way a team to be reckoned with in the state of Texas:
"Leach is one of the brightest minds in college football who did a damn good job at Texas Tech, especially considering what had come before him. They had won eight or more games only twice in 23 seasons before Leach arrived. They won at least that many eight times in Leach’s 10 seasons."

My point is that Texas Tech had a lot more to work with than FAU. They were not an upstart program. Sure they were not at the top of Texas football, but they weren't in the bottom 10 nationally either. They were also part of the BIG12 and not part of the SBC. Those differences do matter.

Also, Leach was not such a well known name when took the job at Texas Tech. I hope FAU can land him, but I think Texas Tech was in a better position when Leach took over than the position that FAU is in right now.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

My point is that Texas Tech had a lot more to work with than FAU. They were not an upstart program. Sure they were not at the top of Texas football, but they weren't in the bottom 10 nationally either. They were also part of the BIG12 and not part of the SBC. Those differences do matter.

Also, Leach was not such a well known name when took the job at Texas Tech. I hope FAU can land him, but I think Texas Tech was in a better position when Leach took over than the position that FAU is in right now.

GO OWLS!!!

Aside from the SunBelt to Big XII difference (which is big) I dont know what you mean by "position that FAU is in right now".  The position FAU is in right now is a position to BLOW UP.  Brand new stadium, exploding campus, record increases in admission applications, etc.

Its almost better that FAU wont have a great season record wise this year.  It provides Leach with the opportunity to come here to FAU and look like the hero and take ownership of the sucess we have going forward.

These head coaches, especially the Leach generation seem to be egomaniacs (which I guess you have to be to deal with the grueling demands and critisism that comes along with the job).  That being said, dont forget that people think HS is a great coach because he "saved" Miami and Louisville…that were not in much better situations if not worse than FAU when he arrived.  He is not known for his time at Oklahoma which was an already successful program.

My point here is…if Leach goes to say Clemson and wins…so what its Clemson.  They are historically good and have all the resources in the world…it wasn't Leach's doing…a ton of coaches could have done that.  But if he takes FAU to where we all think he could…you couldn't take that from him…everybody in the country would have to give him full credit and his ego full credit for being a great coach.  With our Stadium, Campus Location, enrollment, etc.  He could come in here and blow the roof of this program, now its Angelos's job to make sure he knows it.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

By position I mean that Texas Tech was a better job then than what FAU is now (this of course all depends on perspective). However, head coach in the BIG12 with all the trimmings is generally more attractive than coaching in the SBC. I don't know of many coaches that have chosen the SBC after being a head coach in the BIG12.

You can go on and on about FAU blowing up. The same has been said about UCF since the mid to late 1990s.

UCF has a new stadium, huge enrollment, strong alumni base, and UCF still has not blown up as a football powerhouse.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: