Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Physicist Develops Mathematical Method to Find Satellite Galaxies

Add topic

Sukanya Chakrabarti, Ph.D., an assistant professor of physics for the Charles E. Schmidt College of Science at Florida Atlantic University, has developed a mathematical method called “tidal analysis” to find satellite, or dwarf, galaxies by analyzing the ripples in the hydrogen gas distribution in large spiral galaxies in outer space.

Chakrabarti, who specializes in the study of astrophysics, black holes and galaxies, used this method to predict that a dwarf galaxy sat on the opposite side of the Milky Way from Earth earlier this year. This dwarf galaxy has been unseen to date because it is “dark” and obscured by the intervening gas and dust in the galaxy’s disc.

Full Story

Back to the top

Re: FAU Physicist Develops Mathematical Method to Find Satellite Galaxies

I was going to do that in my studies....but I spent too much time at the Wishing Well.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I wonder if they are using the speed of light in their calculations as a constant because their work might be thrown out the window, that's the case with this study on neutrinos particles now found to travel faster that the speed of light. This could change the whole world of physics.

Speedy neutrinos challenge physicists : Nature News
Should Einstein be worried? - CBS News

Back to the top

FAU Physicist Develops Mathematical Method to Find Satellite Galaxies

I was gonna post the same thing!!  :D
Back to the top
Control functions: