Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What is the real problem facing our team?

What is the real problem facing our team?

What do you guys see as being the real problem for this team? The offense put the defense in bad positions again. The play calling on both sides of the ball continues to be questionable at best. Anyone who knows football knows the prevent defense does just that, prevents you from winning. If your defense has been playing well, why go into a "we wont give up the big play mode"? This change to the 3-4 defense appears to be the worse thing ever. You have two senior DE who were projected to be very good but you change the defense and relegated them to being tackles which they arent built to play in a defense thats designed for LB's to make the tackles.  So far the defense is giving up forty plus points a game.  Go back to the 4-3 put Cyrille & Johnson at DE, Givens & Jeans at DT & Hines, R. Johnson & Henry at you LB's. Line them up and let them go! Cant be any worse than what im seeing. 40 plus points a game! Great move coaches.
Back to the top

Re: The Rea Problem?

As many players say to me Howard is just out of it and has not done any real coaching in five year.s We do not get 5 star players so you need to coaching to develop the players and that's not even happening right now. This why i have said Howard should have been gone last year.
Back to the top

Our QB play is lacking.  With a good performance from a QB we win that game by 20 points.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

As many players say to me Howard is just out of it and has not done any real coaching in five year.s We do not get 5 star players so you need to coaching to develop the players and that's not even happening right now. This why i have said Howard should have been gone last year.

At the DI level position coaches develop players for the most part.  Head coaches game plan, recruit and build stadiums.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Makes you wonder if Howard just got so wrapped up in the Stadium, knowing how crucial it is to our program's growth and development that some of that other stuff has taken a back burner.

I tell you what, as much as people want to lambast him for coaching, recruiting, desire, whatever it is they hate him for (and believe me, I'm not happy with the losing either) there isn't another person in the WORLD that would have or could have done what he's done here…have a look at our Alumni Donations ranking in the state (I'll save you the trouble, we're last) or a look at our endowment funds…we suck as a university when it comes to Alumni giving, there aren't people lining up to donate. To get the stadium built, in the midst of the largest financial collapse of Schellenberger's life (he almost lived through the Depression!  :)) is astounding.

Sadly, I think he became so focused on that goal that he lost sight on the others. It is the piece de resistance of his career.

To answer the title question…we lack a qb. We were spoiled with Allen, Rusty and JVC and now, we have an inaccurate playcaller, it sucks.
Back to the top

Coaching just hasn't been the same since Nord left.  I like Nord as OC, don't think he's much of a head coach and certainly wouldn't want to see him getting the baton after this year.  But he did a great job as OC and always worked well as Schnellenberger's de facto assistant HC.  Recruiting also took a dive after Nord left for the Purdue gig.

I do think a desire to see the stadium through kept Howard here a year or two longer than he otherwise would have stayed on the sideline (there were signs he was losing his fastball even in '08).  He has to regret not getting to coach in the stadium at Louisville that he was largely responsible for.

Anyway, it's a combination of things.  Dropoff in talent AND coaching.  And, as mentioned, the talent dropoff extending to the QB position. 
Back to the top

Re: What is the real problem facing our team?

It doesn't make sense with this loss to blame it all on the offense. The Cajuns did afterall score 37 points and they put up big numbers against the FAU defense.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree with owlfan…

the offense came back and put the points on the board to tie us at 34, a respectable amount of points, the D was given a task to stop the drive and fell short.
Back to the top

I thought the D played well and was very aggressive, MOST of the time.

Unfortunately they did not play so on that last drive and gave up more then a few big yardage plays.

Plus they were out there too long again. Too many quick 3 and outs doesnt give them a chance to cath thier breath.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I have not gotten to watch our last two games, but from what I've seen and read, it is a combination of several factors which are giving us problems.  I do think our biggest problem right now is our QB play.  We are not good under pressure, we are not accurate and that leads to 3 and outs, which tires out our D.  I think the play calling on either side of the ball is also an issue, but I believe that a good QB should be able to make the plays he needs to regardless of the called play. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: