Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ North Texas - 10/08/11 @ 7:30 p.m.

Add topic

The Matchup: FAU (0-4, 0-1) vs. North Texas (1-4, 0-1)

The Series: FAU 6  UNT 1

09/11/04 A W 20-13
11/12/05 H W 26-23
11/18/06 A W 17-16
09/22/07 A W 30-20
11/08/08 H W 46-13
10/17/09 A W 44-40
09/25/10 H L 21-17

When: Saturday, October 8th, 7:30 p.m.

Where: Apogee Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ Apogee Stadium

UNT Team Site: Here

TV: Sun Belt Network (Comcast 32 locally)

Live Video: Mean Green Pay Per View

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Denton, TX

Latest Line: Here
Back to the top

Re: Game Week Thread: FAU @ North Texas - 10/08/11 @ 7:30 p.m.

Game Week Thread: FAU @ North Texas - 10/08/11 @ 7:30 p.m.

The start to the much anticipated Sun Belt portion of the Owls' slate got off to a heartbreaking start on Saturday as FAU's perfect mark of 3-0 at Cajun Field came to an end thanks to a well orchestrated late drive by ULL, and a 37-34 loss.

Of note, Florida Atlantic doubled its offensive output in points in comparison to the previous three games combined (17). And this assuredly sheds light on the team's ability to post point production on conference play - something of concern heading into the game.

Despite trailing 34-20 with just 6:50 to play, the Owls' normally docile offensive attack suddenly sprung to life, tying the contest with only 1:48 left.

But the defense, who had just been highly effective in setting up the improbable comeback, ran out of gas and could not stop the opponent when it mattered most.

"The offense scored and put the ball in our hands to stop them, and, for lack of better words, we choked. That is the only way I can put it", said senior DL Jarvis Givens of the game changing breakdown.

Things weren't any better for North Texas on Saturday, as the Mean Green controlled the clock for 40:53 against Tulsa, but still managed to lose the contest 41-24. Most concerning was the fact that total offense wasn't lopsided, as the Golden Hurricane's edged the final tally just 412-391. But conversion of those yards into scores was. Trailing 41-3 heading into the final period, UNT finally managed to get their groove on by racking up 21 unanswered. But it would not be enough.

Last go round for both teams head to head, North Texas snuck away with a 21-17 win at Lockhart Stadium despite trailing decidedly in TOP (36:29 - 23:31), and total yardage (403-357). In an all too familiar tune, Big plays were the downfall for the Owls.

Head to head the current match-up pits statistically poor defensive units against themselves, with FAU enjoying a slim advantage at 38 to 38.4 ppg respectively.

However, offensive numbers are not on par. North Texas comes in with a 17.4 ppg average to just 12.8 ppg for Florida Atlantic.

Granted personnel match-ups do play an integral role in conference contests, so one should likely brace themselves for another potentially close game throughout. Although if going by the numbers UNT would appear to be in the driver's seat:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

FAU opened on Sunday at the underdog spot with +3.5 points, but that has since changed with the line now up to +5.
Back to the top

I'll be there!!!!! I can't wait.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I'll be there!!!!! I can't wait.

Send me some photos to share Smitty!
Back to the top

Nice piece on Coach from DentonRC.com:

“College football is better because of coach Schnellenberger and what he has brought for many, many years,” North Texas Head Coach Dan McCarney said. “He has had a major impact on the landscape of college football. There are guys out there you want to emulate and take bits and pieces of what they have done and incorporate them into your professional life and your ability to lead a team. There is no question I will and I have with Howard Schnellenberger. He stands for all the good out there in college football. He has always done it the right way.”

UNT notebook: Schnellenberger set for last Denton visit

Back to the top

Some interesting tidbits on UNT heading into Saturday:

• North Texas has been outscored a combined 117-10 in the first and third quarters through the first five-games.

• The Mean Green has won the time of possession battle in all five games this season, but is only 1-4.

• The Mean Green is seventh in the nation in time of possession at 34:05.

Back to the top

The Owls 2 Deep per FAU for Saturday…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

This will be an interesting game as North Texas is playing in their new stadium as well. Neat design but their bleachers remind me of a fish-tail.   FAU stadium looks like a true D1 stadium.

Experience the New Mean Green | North Texan

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

This will be an interesting game as North Texas is playing in their new stadium as well. Neat design but their bleachers remind me of a fish-tail.   FAU stadium looks like a true D1 stadium.

Hey, we can't laugh too much….. that fishtail rakes in a million a year on its name alone….. I'm waiting for ours

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

I like our stadium and I don't care for theirs. To each their own. I think ours still has a ton of potential to play off the beach/Key West theme, especially as the rest of the Innovation Village comes online.
Back to the top
Control functions: