Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Can Jarvis recruit football?

Why is that Jarvis can do more with what he's got than Howard can?

Jarvis was hired at the end of a recruiting period where any recruits we had essentially left after Rex went to USF. Within 3 years we won the Sunbelt and now he just commitments from 2 big time players for 2012-2013. We've all been inside the burrow we know how bad it is. High School kids are excited to come here and play for him and for us.

I'm tired of hearing the Lockhart excuse for the football team. We won 2 bowl games and a conference championship and we went backwards! The stadium was being built during this past recruiting class so then what's the excuse that we again were worse than some D-II schools? Can't say oh well we still played at lockhart and we promised every other recruit in our program that they'd play in the stadium. That may be true, but this time we could show possible recruits–look, here it is, it's going to happen, it's being built.

Jarvis has probably had less to work with than Howard, especially less of a budget. He's not getting a new arena anytime soon and if 2,000 people show up for a game that's considered a packed house. He's gotten us a game on ESPN2 and we won! He took over a team with another coaches players and made them win

So what is it that Jarvis is doing to get these kids to come here? The gym can't be a selling point, our attendance can't be a selling point? He doesn't need to go out and try to out recruit Duke or Syracuse but he surely has stolen a few from AQ schools. So what is it that Jarvis is essentially selling them to get them to come here and play for FAU?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Can Jarvis recruit football?

You are absolutely right. Lockhart has become the convenient excuse and honestly it's played out at this point. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to reverse the damage that's been done to the program in the last few years. Over the past fews years a few of us voiced our concerns about how we would end up opening up the stadium when it was clear as day that we were not getting any kind of bounce in recruiting and that the staff/coaching/preparation started becoming virtually non-existent. To be DEAD LAST in recruiting, not just in the Sun Belt, but in D1 football is unacceptable. There is no spin. Hopefully we get a dynamic new staff in place who can sell the new stadium/program to some decent D1 talent. But I don't want to fall behind again with what could be an abolsutely terrible season and what now looks like a lame duck coaching staff
Back to the top

The Burrow is not that bad, it is small but nice and I kinda like it. But back to the point. Yeah Lock Hart  was just a lame excuse. There is no reason in the 2010 recruiting period that FIU offers over 150 players and we offer 60. It is like we are not trying. I was watching the Wake Forest - FSU game  yesterday and Wake Forest has 33 players from Florida and Wake is 4-1. I am not going to to say we should have got all of those players but maybe we should have been able to keep 8-10 of them in state. Think of the difference 8-10 of those players could on a Sun-Belt team.
Back to the top

Hell, 4 or 5 would be wonderful right now! HIRE LEACH and MANY of them stay! We better get moving NOW or next season there won't be more than 10K for ANY game!  Pres. Saunders, hop a jet to Key West TODAY and talk to the man, make him an offer! PLEASE!
Back to the top

Basketball takes 2 players to turn a program football takes 20.

We dont have anybody on the roster that were 4 and 5 star recruits….he took unrecognized players and developed them.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

We dont have anybody on the roster that were 4 and 5 star recruits….he took unrecognized players and developed them.

This is the difference I see. It seems that we get kids who have some potential but we don't develop them, we did in the past, but Coach has lost his edge and our other coaches just aren't getting the job done development wise.
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

walty12 said

This is the difference I see. It seems that we get kids who have some potential but we don't develop them, we did in the past, but Coach has lost his edge and our other coaches just aren't getting the job done development wise.

I think a lot of our players have developed.  I think our QB's (at least Wilbert, haven't seen them all) have not.  Bad QB play will sink any team (UF, FSU, Miami to name a few).  Its too bad he has played so badly, with a decent to good QB this could have been a good season.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

So far Jarvis has signed two for the 2012 season, and we have 3 in football...
Back to the top

Can Jarvis recruit football?

Can anyone find highlight videos on Bryant and Moody??

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

The Burrow is not that bad, it is small but nice and I kinda like it.

I really like the Burrow too and am looking forward to attending games there this season. We eventually need to move into a 10k seat arena, even if it's more impersonal, but I imagine they'll feel out the stadium for 2-3 years to see if we were able to meet revenue targets. If we're not doing well there, that may very well poison the well of confidence in building a similarly-priced basketball arena on campus… even under the guise of a "Convocation Center/Arena."

Still, I can't imagine Jarvis signing another 5-year contract without a new arena. There's only so much you can do with the Burrow.

walty12 said

I think a lot of our players have developed.  I think our QB's (at least Wilbert, haven't seen them all) have not.   Bad QB play will sink any team (UF, FSU, Miami to name a few).  Its too bad he has played so badly, with a decent to good QB this could have been a good season.

I think our defensive recruiting has been great lately. Randell Johnson, Keith Reaser, David Hinds especially. Just outstanding guys and we have them for a couple more years, which I'm psyched about. I hope our new coach doesn't switch back to the old defense because this 3/4 is working extremely well for us.

The QBs are a mystery. How you have these guys here for three solid years and yet they're unable to do things like simple hand-offs, throw accurate passes, etc… what have they been doing all this time? Sometimes it doesn't even look like they played QB in high school.

Remember this: Our OC is our QB Coach. He's got 19+ years of coaching… receivers. Not quarterbacks.

Not quarterbacks.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy. In fact, he's a great guy, energetic and very personable. Unfortunately, he's not experienced enough to develop quarterbacks and that's where we're having our problem.
Back to the top
Control functions: