Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Conference Realignment Shenanigans

Big East will consider adding 6 football schools - ESPN

The Big East will consider adding six more football-playing schools to get to 12 in the wake of three departures that have hit the league in the last month, the league said in a statement Monday.

Among the schools that have been mentioned as potential members: Navy, Air Force and Army as football-only members. Memphis, Central Florida, East Carolina and Temple have been mentioned as candidates as well, and Villanova could move up to the FBS level.

[hr]

Guess this means C-USA will be looking to add a few more schools to their conference. Too bad FAU is not going to be on their short list, since we are 0-5 this season.
Back to the top

Re: New Conference Realignment Shenanigans

This is exactly the type of problem that is going to come from just tanking the last few seasons. At this point with the new stadium you would think we would at least be in the conversation for conference realignment. At least you would have thought so in 07 riding some momentum and knowing a beautiful new stadium was coming in the next few years. If C-USA loses UCF and needs a Florida presence you would hope we'd at least get a look.
Back to the top

Right, Memphis and Army have been lighting the world on fire.  And the SEC took Texas A&M for all thier BCS apperances the last 10 years.

Angelos needs to be educating the Big East on what we have to offer because like most of the rest of the country they probably dont know much.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

New Conference Realignment Shenanigans

d-owl said

This is exactly the type of problem that is going to come from just tanking the last few seasons. At this point with the new stadium you would think we would at least be in the conversation for conference realignment. At least you would have thought so in 07 riding some momentum and knowing a beautiful new stadium was coming in the next few years. If C-USA loses UCF and needs a Florida presence you would hope we'd at least get a look.

They would go with FIU, and at this point, I would not blame them if they did.
Back to the top

Why would you not blame them?

Just to keep things real (I know we are emotional about our record right now), you really truly believe that the board of Conference USA has people going…"you know we have to pick a school and that 6-6 record in the SunBelt that FIU posted after going 0 for thier previous 34 games is just so damn impressive we have to take them".

I am not trying to debate just to debate, but somebody has to keep things in perspective on this board. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Just to keep things real (I know we are emotional about our record right now), you really truly believe that the board of Conference USA has people going…"you know we have to pick a school and that 6-6 record in the SunBelt that FIU posted after going 0 for thier previous 34 games is just so damn impressive we have to take them".

I am not trying to debate just to debate, but somebody has to keep things in perspective on this board.

There's 3 things a conference will look at when adopting a new team into their league:

1. Media Marketplace
  2. Attendance/Fan Base
  3. Performance

1. FAU & FIU tied in media market.
  2. FIU has a higher home attendance than FAU
  3. FIU is poised for back to back winning seasons and bowl birth. | FAU is poised for their third straight losing season.

Our bowl wins are in the past now. Our new stadium is awesome, but unless we fill it up with people, it doesn't mean a thing.
Back to the top

To the media and the negotiations for the ALL important media contact, item No. 1 is ALL that matters. I think the BigEast should take all three (UCF, FAU and FIU) and have half their need filled immediately..
Back to the top

Captain said

walty12 said

There's 3 things a conference will look at when adopting a new team into their league:

1. Media Marketplace
  2. Attendance/Fan Base
  3. Performance

1. FAU & FIU tied in media market.
  2. FIU has a higher home attendance than FAU
  3. FIU is poised for back to back winning seasons and bowl birth. | FAU is poised for their third straight losing season.

Our bowl wins are in the past now. Our new stadium is awesome, but unless we fill it up with people, it doesn't mean a thing.

Disagree…

1) Two different media markets…and FIU has major competition in the Miami football market. We are the sole D1 team in the West Palm market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_media_markets_and_college_football

2) FAU has a higher home average attendance than FIU.
http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/04/06/2010-homeaway-average-attendance/

3) Up to 2010: FAU All-time record: 57-63…..FIU All-time record: 31-74
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Golden_Panthers_football
Back to the top

walty12 said

Thank you, someone is trying to inject some reality here…in that same vein, WE ARE NOT AND SHOULD NOT GET MENTIONED TO GO TO THE BIG EAST.  We should be thrilled to get mentioned for CUSA.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The Orlando Sentinel is campaigning HARD for UCF to join the BE. Mike Bianchi - their beat writer? - seems to gush daily about how they'd be such a great fit, what they'd bring to the table, blah blah blah. You'd think he was on the UCF Athletic Dept payroll as their chief lobbyist.

Part of any selective competition is getting your name out there and we haven't done that other than a few "informal talks" between Angelos and BE reps, which is probably a nice way of saying they might have shot the sh*t in an elevator once. And just because a pretty girl talked to you in the bar doesn't mean she'll wake up in your bed tomorrow morning, you know?

I'd like to see FAU join an BCS conference just as much as anyone else here but objectively speaking, we probably don't bring enough to the table at this point. It's not even about wins/losses, coaches, location, potential, etc as it is about money. We'd take more from the pot than we'd put in and that's bad business.

Back to the top
Control functions: