Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium Opening Game Week Thread: WKU @ FAU - 10/15/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

Add topic

The Matchup: Western Kentucky (1-4, 1-1) vs. Florida Atlantic (0-5, 0-2)

WKU Team Site

The Series: FAU 3  WKU 0

10/18/08 A W 24-20
11/28/09 H W 29-23
11/06/10 A W 17-16

When: Saturday, October 15th, 4:00 p.m.

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

TV: None

Live Video: None

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Boca Raton, FL

Latest Line: Here
Back to the top

Re: FAU Stadium Opening Game Week Thread: WKU @ FAU - 10/15/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

The time has finally come. The Game Week every Owl fan has anticipated since the season began. For the first time in program history Florida Atlantic will play a contest on their own ground, in their own environment, and in their own Stadium.

And there's plenty to do, if you're still looking for some "extra curricular" activities before the game:

• "Select-A-Seat" ticket day on Tuesday, October 11 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at FAU Stadium (Practice will adjoin the event)

• 4th Annual Bonfire on Thursday, October 13 at 8:00 p.m. at the northeast corner of the Track Complex

• Coach's Breakfast on Friday at 8:00 a.m. in the Premier Level of the Stadium

• FAU Stadium Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Friday, October 14 at 4:30 p.m. at the Stadium Site.

• Owlsley Statue Unveiling on Saturday, October 15 at 1:30 in the Alumni Plaza

But the main event will obviously be the moment the Owls come out of the tunnel to take the field against Western Kentucky. One can only imagine how electric the atmosphere is going to be, and it's definitely been worth the wait after years of planning and watching the steel go up over the last months. Florida Atlantic finally has a place to call "home". Getting all teary eyed here…….

Back to the game.

FAU has had the Toppers card for the first three meetings between the programs, although the final score in each contest has been too close for comfort; with just a 3.7 PPG average differential being observed for the series.

Last go around at L.T. Smith Stadium, Florida Atlantic snuck away with a 17-16 win much to the chagrin of home fans and players alike. It wasn't pretty for the offense, who managed only 215 total yards, and 75 net yards on 37 attempts by foot. Of note, four of the Owls 12 first downs came by way of penalty.

This past Thursday, WKU put the pedal to the metal in 2OT to whisk past Middle Tennessee 36-33 in Murfreesboro.

The first half score of 7-7 wasn't impressive for either squad, but that changed with the Toppers' sudden urgency and a desire to notch a quality road win in conference.

In a polar opposite outcome, the Owls are stinging from a 31-17 loss to North Texas in Denton. Three Graham Wilbert INT's were costly to the tune of 21 points - the key difference in the game. Ironically FAU outgained, and outperformed the home team in just about every other way.

The Toppers are obviously led by the fleet footed Bobby Rainey, who is averaging almost 115 yards per game on the year. His counterpart in FAU's Alfred Morris isn't fairing quite as well at 72.8 yards per game.

While WKU performs better defensively, FAU edges most offensive categories we examine weekly:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Bottom line:

Expect another close one…

Lastly, don't look now, but confidence has swung the Owls' way for the first time this year with Florida Atlantic opening as a -3 favorite.

Back to the top

Owls 24-23 over WKU in a barn burner. 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

WKU running back Antonio Andrews has been suspended following comments he made on Twitter after the Toppers victory over MTSU:

- One thing I can say bout #UKfans is they loyal. No matter how sorry they team is they always support them. Can't say that bout #WKUfans smh.

- Same ppl who said we suck and will never win a game are the same mf trying party wit us and saying we knew y'all could do it! #FallBack

- Mike jones back then should be our theme songs.

- Why would I say something bad about my team? Only thing there is to say we ain't reached our peak yet! #BOW
Back to the top

FAU Stadium Opening Game Week Thread: WKU @ FAU - 10/15/11 @ 4:00 p.m.

Toppers Coach Willie Taggart weighs in on Andrews' suspension, and this weekend's match up against the Owls in the vid below...queue to the 9:50 mark for the suspension and some good comments on the use of social platforms by players, and the FAU talk...

Back to the top

Just wanted to throw out a "GO OWLS!" to start the week.  We can only go up from here and I'm glad that we will have Kooi starting. (Never thought I'd say that).

To alter a quote from Ricky Bobby - "If you don't beat Big Red…………Then F*@!k you!".

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Tyree Robinson could've played for FAU Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger instead of coming to Bowling Green.

But when Schnellenberger didn't offer Robinson's cousin — sophomore fullback Kadeem Jones — a scholarship, Robinson crossed the Owls off his list of schools.

Jones and Robinson eventually came together to WKU, where they've become regular starters at fullback and cornerback, respectively.

"It kind of got to me when they were recruiting me… I was trying to tell them about (Kadeem) and they just didn't want to listen," Robinson said. "So all that did was just remind me of everything Western Kentucky did for us, and we both go out there and play our hearts out."

WKU's trip to FAU a home outing for many Toppers
Back to the top

2 Deep for Saturday per FAU…

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Didn't expect to see Wilbert's name there…
Back to the top

Just be thankful he is not listed as the starter.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: